cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just upgraded to Fibre Optic - Speed Issue

JohnP1

Just upgraded to Fibre Optic - Speed Issue

I upgraded to fibre optic on 24/6 but the speed I am receiving is download of roughly 12/13 mbps
I was receiving 11/12 mbps prior to upgrading.  When the open reach engineer was here he plugged a device in to check the speed and advised it was currently 54 mbps
I have raised this as a fault but has anyone else had a similar issue?
14 REPLIES 14
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Just upgraded to Fibre Optic - Speed Issue

You probably just need Plusnet to update your 'Current Line Speed' (the Plusnet Profile for your line), this should happen after they receive official notification from BT that the job is complete.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi JohnP1,
Welcome to our community forums.
Your profile updated early this morning so hopefully now you've seen an improvement in your speeds?
JohnP1

Thanks, I am still having some speed issues which apparently has now been passed to the supplier for further investigation.  It did increase to about 35 mbps when i called but has since dropped again to nearer 25 mbps
picbits
Rising Star

Are you using a wired network connection or wireless ?
JohnP1

I'm using Wireless although I did try connecting using the wired connection before logging the fault and got comparable speed on both connections.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've raised this issues with our suppliers and we're awaiting an update, we'll provide this as soon as we have one for you.
picbits
Rising Star

It's always worth using wired (and disabling the wireless on your computer just in case) - my laptop will report a full 68Mb/s download speed and 18Mb upload when wired but will only report 38Mb/s down when on wireless.
My other laptop (Wireless G) reports a 20-21Mb download speed and 18Mb upload.
JohnP1

Thanks, tried it wired only and reported 29 mbps compared to 26 on wireless.
JohnP1

I'm still having the same issue if anyone from plus net can provide an update?  My question did state an update would be provided today at 10am but no updates yet....
tijara33
Pro
Fixes: 6

You'll probably have to wait until Monday to receive a reply.
jayelem

I have had the same thing for months now.  The OpenReach engineer got 10ms ping and 70Mbs download, but I'm seeing about 25, like you.  Plusnet were actually very good in supporting this problem, but there is still an issue I can't bottom.  The BT guys suggest it's outdated equipment but I've seen the same performance on several PCs (with various o
OS's) and an iPad.
Just once, when I re-booted my modem and router did I see 10ms/70 so I assume the equipment can handle it, but when I did the test again, seconds later, it was back at 25.
After much thought, I conclude that there is some sort of PC or network setting that can influence this, but I've no idea what that is.
One thing you might like to try is a different browser.  Although IE8 is supposed to be obsolete now, I'm finding it's results much better than the "modern" Chrome.  Best of all, though, was Opera, which gave a significant performance increase.
I think the answer to our problem is buried inside Windows or Networking settings, but, like many things PC-related, the tech-geeks make everything so unintelligible to Joe Public. Undecided
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

google "netsh interface"
its possible you have an MTU conflict (it should be either 1492 or 1500 on both the pc and router for optimal performance settings) although i have only had problems in the past with the ctcp/tcp and rwin values myself sometimes a code line fault occurs because something changes the default values when being installed or uninstalled
another possible problem could be ipv4/6 interactions but that *shouldn't* cause problems with connection speed
one good way of determining the route cause of the problem would be to run the BTW speed test, run the diagnostic test and then click the tap 3 test button and follow the instructions (remember your current username and password settings so you can put them back in afterwards)
it will isolate if the problem is between your equipment and the exchange or the exchange and the isp interface, either way it will help PlusNet to get the results (copy & paste them from the test results page into a post on here)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

@JohnP1
I'm going to arrange an engineer appointment for Thursday(4th July), is that OK for you?
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We've booked an appointment for the 4th July 8am-1pm, your fault ticket has been updated too.