cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just switched to plusnet and have lost internet after 4 days.

chopper99
Grafter

Just switched to plusnet and have lost internet after 4 days.

Hello all.
I recently switched to Plusnet from Virgin and as part of the switchover selected to keep my Netgear DG834 router as I've never had a single issue with it.
4 days ago the internet went off (light went red) and I realised this was because I hadn't yet changed my username and password in the router settings. So I did that, re-booted the router and everything was fine for a few days. Until yesterday. When I got up in the morning the internet connection light was red and I had no connection. I've tried re-booting the router and have re-applied the username and password but cannot get the connection back.
Now I know what the usual steps are - change the filters, chack the master socket (I have no idea where this is), try a different router - but I'm fairly certain this has been caused by the changeover in some way. It's just too much of a coincidence that one of those things would go wrong 3 days after switching to a new provider. So before I go out and buy some new filters and a new router to test is there anyone from plusnet who could check my connection on their end? Or perhaps suggests something I've overlooked?
Any help would be much appreciated. I would just call the support line but I'm at work.
Thanks.
57 REPLIES 57
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Just switched to plusnet and have lost internet after 4 days.

See if you can connect with the following test usernames:

• bt_test@startup_domain

• bt_test_user@plusdsl.net

Use any password you like. If your router shows you connecting with the first one, you have a working connection and should be able to access http://bt.net/digitaldemo, but nothing else [1]. The second test username checks your connection to the Plusnet RADIUS server, and if that also connects, then either your own username and password combination is incorrect, or there is a problem with your account.
[1] I can't actually seem to be able to access this site ATM - I'm not sure if you need to be logged in with the test username for it to be accessible, and I'm not about to try it just now...
chopper99
Grafter

Thanks very much for the speedy reply. I will try this when I get home and report back...
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

I've just run a few tests and can't see any obvious reasons as to why authentication is failing. FYI it might help to update ticket 55322258 after you've tried the BT test logins, being able to brose to http://bt.net/digitaldemo isn't essential as we just need to know if you can log in using those credentials Jaggies mentioned.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
chopper99
Grafter

Ok, thanks Adam. I'll try that when I get home and see how I get on and will update the ticket.
chopper99
Grafter

Ok, so over the weekend I tried the above suggestions.
Using the bt_test@startup_domain username I managed to get a connection and could access the http://bt.net/digitaldemo site. But when entering the second username I could not get a connection.
I also tried changing microfilters and plugging the router into the main socket, but still no difference.
I called Plusnet support yesterday morning and after looking at the settings in my router I was told that they would need to do some line tests and I'm now waiting for a call back with the results.
What I'm wondering is what will happen from here? I'm fairly sure my hardware is fine and that the problem is something out of my control. I also recieved a text this morning saying my home phone service was now ready to use, as I also switched my line rental (from BT) and my call package (from Virgin along with the internet) to PN. Could the fact that this changed after my internet be a cause for the issues?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Did you change your portal password in those few days when you were connected?  Those password details pass down to your router username and password.  (Bit of a gotcha that one.)
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
chopper99
Grafter

No. My password, as far as I know, has been the same since I first signed up.
It would be useful if someone from Plusnet could send me a private message telling me the password that I should be using as my router password, just to rule that out. I'm 99% certain it's correct, but you never know...
grudkin
Grafter

Quote from: chopper99
Using the bt_test@startup_domain username I managed to get a connection and could access the http://bt.net/digitaldemo site. But when entering the second username I could not get a connection.

The fact that you managed to get a connection using the bt_test@startup_domain but not able to do so with the bt_test_user@plusdsl.net username is interesting!
Quote from: chopper99
What I'm wondering is what will happen from here? I'm fairly sure my hardware is fine and that the problem is something out of my control. I also recieved a text this morning saying my home phone service was now ready to use, as I also switched my line rental (from BT) and my call package (from Virgin along with the internet) to PN. Could the fact that this changed after my internet be a cause for the issues?

I can't see the phone service going live being a cause but you never know!
I'm sure  _Adam_Walker_ or another plusnet staff member will be along shortly to follow up.  Wink
I hope your problems get resolved soon and welcome to the plusnet forums!
Edit it seems Kelly beat me to it!  Wink
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

It should be the same password you are logging into the portal with, so if you can do that, all should be fine!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
chopper99
Grafter

Ok, thanks Kelly.
I've just logged out and back into the portal to double check my password and it's definitely the same one I'm using for the router settings.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Just to check
is the login username@plusdsl.net
chopper99
Grafter

Yes, that's correct.
So the username is <removed>
And the password is my portal password.
jim:green This is an open forum so posting that sort of personal information isn't a good idea mod:end
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Did you change your portal password in those few days when you were connected?

but how would that affect access using bt_test_user@plusdsl.net ? which chopper99 said didn't work

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

This may be a really silly suggestion - try putting your Virgin login details back into the router