cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just moved home but having awful problems with phone / broadband service

donmaico

Just moved home but having awful problems with phone / broadband service

Basically if I attempt to use the phone whilst on line I lose broad band signal and the phone makes an awful racket unless i go out into the garden.Is there anything I can do.I know the downloading speed isnt great  at 1.82 mbs and the BT  line might not be the best, but is there not a rectifiable fault here and if so can Plus Net sort it? thanks.
I have4 tried connecting the modem directly t my PC or used it wirelessly and it makes no difference
13 REPLIES 13
smiffyb36
Grafter

Re: Just moved home but having awful problems with phone / broadband service

Do you have microfilters plugged into every socket that a phone is in?
If so sounds like a fault.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Have you tried using a standard wired phone as it sounds as if there is a possibility that the DEC phone is faulty
donmaico

Quote from: smiffyb36
Do you have microfilters plugged into every socket that a phone is in?
If so sounds like a fault.

i only have a microfilter where my modem is plugged and not where my two phones are
donmaico

Quote from: Oldjim
Have you tried using a standard wired phone as it sounds as if there is a possibility that the DEC phone is faulty

Inoticed that two wired phones work better than a wired and dec phone ( much reduced interference) but broad band is still affected
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you must have filters, it is possible that your last place had a filtered master plate  see heree for a look at the parts of a system  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
and this one is about filters http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/splitter_install.htm
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

As Pierre said - all phones, faxes, answer machines and Sky boxes must be filtered
in fact anything attached to the phone line must be filtered
donmaico

Quote from: pierre_pierre
you must have filters, it is possible that your last place had a filtered master plate  see heree for a look at the parts of a system  http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm
and this one is about filters http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/splitter_install.htm

my previous property had one main socket (as in the first pic) to which was connected the wireless modem with microfilter and phone.There was one other ordinary phone socket upstairs which wasnt used.This new place has about 4 different sockets one of which looks like a main one and is situated in the hall by the front door.My modem sits in the living room connected directly to the pc and within earshot of a Sat view digibox to which i would also one day like to connect for iplayer purposes hence my reasons for putting it in there.Am i to understand that I need a microfilter with each socket or a flitered master plate fitted instead of the main one?
Incidentally I tried to take a router line stat reading from that link you sent me but it asks for  username and a password,Which ones are they referring to.Thanks
pierre_pierre
Grafter

be careful of the Sat Box - is it Sky?, if so their "Fitters" have a bad habit of wiring up a phone home connect in a hidden way, they also use a connector that looks like a filter but isnt
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

To answer Donmaico's questions, YES, you need a microfilter for each socket in use.  A filtered master plate is no good because it would force you to site your router next to it in the hall instead of in the living room where you want it and you would have to re-wire the connections to your existing master plate.
There is no point in running line tests until you deal with the filter issue or you unplug every item of unfiltered telephone equipment before you make the test.  The user name and password required are the ones your router uses i.e. your Plusnet username @plusdsl.net and your Plusnet password.
donmaico

Quote from: pierre_pierre
be careful of the Sat Box - is it Sky?, if so their "Fitters" have a bad habit of wiring up a phone home connect in a hidden way, they also use a connector that looks like a filter but isnt

Its a Freesat box as pioneered by the BBC and with no subscriptions.Ordinary Freeview doesnt work too well down here unless i had an enormous pole for the aerial.My days of Sky usage are long gone

I also noticed there s no mains socket near the main BT box so i couldnt site the modem there anyway
donmaico

Quote from: ReedRichards
To answer Donmaico's questions, YES, you need a microfilter for each socket in use.  A filtered master plate is no good because it would force you to site your router next to it in the hall instead of in the living room where you want it and you would have to re-wire the connections to your existing master plate.
There is no point in running line tests until you deal with the filter issue or you unplug every item of unfiltered telephone equipment before you make the test.  The user name and password required are the ones your router uses i.e. your Plusnet username @plusdsl.net and your Plusnet password.

there are several here at different prices.Any particuar type you'd recommend and could I buy it from Currys? http://shopping.kelkoo.co.uk/ss-adsl-micro-filter.html
thanks
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

These have a good reputation: http://www.adslnation.com/products/xf-1e.php
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
donmaico

Quote from: jelv
These have a good reputation: http://www.adslnation.com/products/xf-1e.php

Ordered the product.Thank you all for you help Smiley