cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just migrated in....

2pods
Dabbler

Just migrated in....

.....from Zen, where I usually had about 1m up and 11.5m down. Does the line retrain on a migration, or is it just a new order ?
As I've just returned after 6 years away, I don't want to moan, or ask support to look at it until I know.
Current stats are this on a Netgear DGN22000
ADSL Link              Downstream      Upstream
Connection Speed  13079 kbps        445 kbps
Line Attenuation      28.0 db            15.3 db
Noise Margin          6.0 db              30.0 db
I've had it at this before:
ADSL Link              Downstream        Upstream
Connection Speed  17481kbps          1244kbs
Line Attenuation      28.5db                16.1db
Noise Margin          2.9db                  5.5db 
Then Zen bumped my SNR up to 6.0db downstream and stuck interleaving on my line, as I had a faulty router,  giving me the 11.5 down and 1.2up., but they never ever took the interleaving off.
All advice welcomed. It's good to be back  Smiley
13 REPLIES 13
zubel
Community Veteran

Re: Just migrated in....

Requesting your upstream to be uncapped by Plusnet is the first step. (a rep may pick this up from here)
Your downstream SNR is the default of 6.0dB.  If your line stays nice and stable for "enough time", the DLM should adjust that down to 3.0dB and give you back an approximation to your previous speeds.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi 2pods,
At the moment, Interleaving i set to 'Auto' on your line. This means that it will enable itself if your line starts to drop.
We can uncap your upload speeds if you would like us too. I think the only real way we are going to be able to increase your sync speeds are by reducing your SNR Target from 6db down to 3db, this may cause your line to become unstable though.
Let me know if there is anything further I can do to help Smiley
2pods
Dabbler

Thanks both Chris and Barry.
If you could uncap my upstream speed that would be great !
Could I try the 3db SNR too please ?
I assume that if the line does become unstable, the SNR will just go back to 6db ?
The reason I asked about the interleaving is because my ping was about 32ms.
Thanks.
Peter
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Peter,
Yep that's no problem, I'll get an order placed for your upload speeds to be uncapped.
If we put you on a 3db target, if your connection starts to drop, the DLM will automatically push you back up to 6db (or should do.)
2pods
Dabbler

Thanks Chris.
It's so good to have brilliant customer service  Smiley
Peter
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No problem and thank you  Smiley
I'll wait for the order to complete tomorrow so I can change all of the SNR settings together.
2pods
Dabbler

Chris,
Just in case you were wondering, I have rebooted my router tonight in order to get a static IP.
I thought I had better after looking at my usage, which according my account page was 394.36MB !
After all, I only went live at about 12.30 and haven't downloaded anything, just browsed webpages.
Anyway, it's not a line drop  Smiley
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

In order to get a "static IP" ? I take it you've paid for one an that was just to get connected to it? You don't need to reboot to do things like that by the way, or to Gateway hop. Just login to the modem/router and Disconnect your PPP Internet session and then wait about 30 seconds and then click Connect.
2pods
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
In order to get a "static IP" ? I take it you've paid for one an that was just to get connected to it? You don't need to reboot to do things like that by the way, or to Gateway hop. Just login to the modem/router and Disconnect your PPP Internet session and then wait about 30 seconds and then click Connect.

That's what I did.  Smiley
However, everytime some options are changed, the router reboots anyway. (e.g. ticking "use static ip")
wykehamhouse
Grafter

Quote from: 2pods
However, everytime some options are changed, the router reboots anyway. (e.g. ticking "use static ip")

Some routers do that. I don't really understand why as usually the router can just refresh options whilst it's turned on. It is annoying for DLM though, because if one changes many options, it can upset DLM due to it seeing resets and it will give one lower speeds.
2pods
Dabbler

Don't I know it  Grin
Anyway, upstream speed has been uncapped. SNR not reset to 3db yet though.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

As your connection hasn't been up and running with us for too long, your line is still in the stabilisation period. This is due to end on 01/03/2013. Your SNR may automatically move itself down to 3db. If it doesn't on 01/03/2013 then I can make the change manually to set the target to 3db.
2pods
Dabbler

Thanks Chris
I appreciate it.
Peter