Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined from BE - ping spikes making gaming unplayable

Froug
Grafter

Re: Just joined from BE - ping spikes making gaming unplayable

Quote from: Kelly
What is your BT profile at?  (from the BT speedtester?)

I think it's 4.5Mbps, based on this (from http://speedtest.btwholesale.com/):
Download speedachieved during the test was - 4.18 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1.2 Mbps-7.15 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :5.57 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.83 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 4.5 Mbps
Thanks for digging into this. I discovered recently that although I'm ~2500m from the exchange, I have a direct connection (no nice fibre for me, possibly ever Cry ). I doubt that's a factor, but thought I should mention it.
cpm88
Dabbler

Hi guys,
And apologies Froug for hijacking your thread - but I have the EXACT same problem with latency spikes (they aren't just small spikes too... they're constantly high pings between 90-300ms).
I've already made a support ticket and a representative called Luke has been helpful, but has been unable to solve the problem and suggested if it persists that you'd send an engineer round. Working literally 9-6 every day, such an option is a huge inconvenience to me, and I'm convinced my settings/profile/ traffic prioritisation is wrongly set as well.
All I want is to be able to play games (not just a specific title...) with-out lag. Hell I'd be happy with a consistent, stable 50ms if it were possible (Interleaving is already turned on too)!
I would seriously appreciate you having a look at them as this is starting to drag on!
Thanks
Froug
Grafter

Hijack away :).
The key behavior for me is that latency is fine unless someone else starts downloading/streaming. At that point latencies go through the roof, and the fix seems to be to have the PN speed profile changed (to a lower value, if I understand what the admins have told me), which affects the traffic prioritisation.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

cpm88 I don't think you have the same issue.  Your profile seems to be changing as normal. It's currently set to 8100.  If you do a btspeedtest, check to see if your BT profile is a little faster than this.
What games are you playing?  And pings/traces to none game websites show the variability?  Can you cut and paste some of these results here for us to see?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Froug
Grafter

Another question from me, sorry - why is my BT IP profile set to 4.5Mbps, when my line can do up to 7Mbps?
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

The DLM will be slowing it down if it is seeing errors on the line.  Is your estimate 7Mbps?  If so, some of the savvy forum goers will be able to help you work out if you need to raise a fault Cheesy
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
Froug
Grafter

Thanks Kelly, but I'm not sure I want to prod that particular wasp's nest right now  ;)....I'll take stability whilst being mildly disappointed with the 4-5Mbits (when I used to get 6-7Mbits with BE and previously Pipex...remember them?).
cpm88
Dabbler

Here are images I've uploaded to my support ticket. Far too many images to crop and post here I think! http://imgur.com/a/Fgm5z#0
Thanks for the help!
cpm88
Dabbler

bump...!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

[Moderator's note by Dick(Strat) Forum rule.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi cpm88,
Are you connecting over a wired or wireless connection?
Froug
Grafter

Hello again - my lag is back again. Please reset my profile ASAP, thanks.
Froug
Grafter

....it's been a while since I requested this, so I should probably be clearer  :).....PN admins, can you please reset my PN speed profile (as earlier). I don't need a line reset. In fact, since back from my hols, it's now mysteriously sat at 7Mbits, where before it would dwindle down to 5Mbits after a reset. Perhaps BT have been fiddling?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Not sure, but that's definitely good news - hope it stays that way. I've bumped your profile on our side to 6000 to match BTs, hope it improves things for you.
Froug
Grafter

Sorry Matt - that hasn't helped. Can you set it to whatever value worked before?
Thanks.