cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just joined Plusnet - Router Recommendations?

Andyclockwise

Just joined Plusnet - Router Recommendations?

So, just switched to Plusnet Value from Orange, will take a few days to set up, opted for own router, looking for recommendations from the sages on this forum. I would like to spend no more than £100, ideally £50, need good wi-fi and a couple of wired connections for server and homeplug. It is not fibre, just BT line, est 12mbs max.
13 REPLIES 13
taras
Grafter

Re: Just joined Plusnet - Router Recommendations?

Hi Andy and welcome to PN.
A few questions.
Wifi,
Do you need 11.N?
wired:
Do you need gig eth?
Is ipv6 important to you?
Media:
Even though you will be using your own server, is/are usb ports needed for printer/storage sharing?
Telephone.
Do you use voip or intend to ?
Andyclockwise

Thanks taras, I've appended replies below, as best as I'm able to.
Quote from: taras
Hi Andy and welcome to PN.
A few questions.
Wifi,
Do you need 11.N? - [Probably not essential at first, I'm not sure if my laptops etc use it. But would like to be future proof, if this doesn't add massively to costwired:
Do you need gig eth? Yes, will be usefulIs ipv6 important to you? Not sure if it is or not. My devices are mainly Vista and W8, and the server will be WHS2011. Probably same thought here as for 11.NMedia:
Even though you will be using your own server, is/are usb ports needed for printer/storage sharing?  No, should be ok, have a wireless printer
Telephone.
Do you use voip or intend to ? No, no plans to.

taras
Grafter

I would suggest the Billion BiPAC 7800N
its sadly around £100 to £130 though.
Andyclockwise

I would suggest the Billion BiPAC 7800N
its sadly around £100 to £130 though.

It does look good for the money though, I'm sorely tempted. Will give it some thought while PN switch me over - 5-7 days apparently.
gofaster
Rising Star

Or you could try the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND wireless gigabit router and add a TP-Link TD-8817 ADSL2+ modem/router. A bit more complicated to set up but will give similar facilities (wireless N / Gigabit / USB ports) for less than £60
taras
Grafter

Andy could, if the orange live box can be turned into a bridge mode and turned into a modem only just get a decent wireless router which would future proof him somewhat for fttc/p. The upside to this would be a higher spec wireless box , one box for modem and one for router/wirless (ie 2x cpu etc) and potentially slightly cheaper :P. Down side two boxes and slightly extra power usage and two interfaces
Andyclockwise

Andy could, if the orange live box can be turned into a bridge mode and turned into a modem only just get a decent wireless router which would future proof him somewhat for fttc/p. The upside to this would be a higher spec wireless box , one box for modem and one for router/wirless (ie 2x cpu etc) and potentially slightly cheaper :P. Down side two boxes and slightly extra power usage and two interfaces

I would rather ditch the Livebox, as I think it is long in the tooth now, and not very reliable, with frequent disconnects etc. Prefer a single box too, for neatness and simplicity. I am not sure I will benefit from .N just yet, and gigabit is a nice to have, rather than a necessity, so am wondering whether to save a few quid and go for a resonably priced more basic, but good quality router.
I am wondering if this one will fit the bill - Netgear DGN2200 http://www.ebuyer.com/204552-netgear-dgn2200-wireless-n300-adsl-modem-router-dgn2200-100uks seems to have quite good reviews for stability etc.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I'd check this forum for others views on the DGN2200. You might also want to ponder whether the modem/router you choose is compatible with RouterStats or DMT software if you have an awkward line or occasional line problems. Can be very handy for diagnosis.
davidj66
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

......think that the Livebox is returnable to HORRANGE ...or at least it used to be "rented" as part of the monthly sub.....they SHOULD send out a prepaid bag for return.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

In my opinion Netgear routers are generally good and that one surely offers better value for money than the Bipac router suggested earlier and better reliability, in my experience, than TP-Link products.  The user interface on a Netgear router is vastly simpler and better than the one on the Thomson routers supplied "free" by Plusnet.  My only reservation is that Netgear have produced the odd "lemon" lately - a model that has been garnered very poor reviews.  I'm sure the Netgear is compatible with "Routerstats Lite" software whereas, AFAIK, no new router is compatible with the DMZ software or the full version of Routerstats as suggested by Anotherone.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Typo, you meant DMT! There are actually a number of current modem/routers that will work with the full version of RS. The full version of RS just requires a fair bit of setting up and in the main, use of the telnet option. The TG582n is one (not that that is a recommendation!) and I understand that the Netgears DGND3700 & DGN2200 also work (same settings as DG834Gv5), as does the Billion and there are others. (There is also a hacked DMT that works on the Billion, but I can't vouch for how bug free it may be).
Andyclockwise

Thanks for all your replies to date  :D. After much consideration and trawling the web, I have decided to go with TP-Link TL-WR1043ND wireless gigabit router and add a TP-Link TD-8817 ADSL2+ modem/router (thanks for this gofaster) as this seems to give the best VFM, most flexible solution (£51 delivered). I'm due for lift off with PN on Friday, so I'll let you know how this works out.
Andyclockwise

A quick update, all going well with this set-up so far. Very pleased with speed and wi-fi performance generally, far more reliable than previous Orange Livebox performance.
jim:quote