cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just how are profiles applied?

jack21
Grafter

Re: Just how are profiles applied?

Now I'm really puzzled....tho my sync rate has been above 1800 for a few days, and my BT profile is and has been at least 1500 for at least 3 days, this morning I found my Plusnet profile has dropped from 1500 to 750 overnight....tho the BT one is still 1500 !  Even so, despite the Plusnet profile of 750, I'm still achieving 1400+ on speedtests - so the Plusnet profile ISN'T having an effect.
What really is the Plusnet profile about?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Well it normally does have an effect, so don't assume it doesn't. There seem to be one or two bugs around Roll_eyes Hopefully someone from Comms will see this and investigate.
scootie
Grafter

I'm still achieving 1400+ on speedtests - so the Plusnet profile ISN'T having an effect

dont reboot your router or disconnect your ppp session other wise this bugged out PN  profile will no doubt come into force on your line, wait for PN to sort it out.
as anotherone has said there seems to be a bug or 2 about and ive seen the same happen to some one else in the past week
Anotherone
Champion

ASBO, just so you know, new profiles don't normally need a reboot or new ppp session to come into effect, therte's definitely a bug here though. It could be there's been no change in profile and for some reason just the figure at the member centre has changed!!
jack21
Grafter

ASBO:  I confirm no effect re resync/boot; I've done both this morning when I attempted to get a sync rate of just-at-or--only-just-above 2016 - no change re BT/Plusnet/speedtest.
(I'm already at target SNRM 15, so not too worried about 2 or 3 resyncs/reboots within 10 mins).
Anotherone
Champion

You should still avoid unnecessary disconnect/reboots and use the powerdown method under fault conditions, otherwise this is seen as connection drops and after any fault is resolved there's a reluctance to reduce the Target SNRM until after a longer period of stability.
jack21
Grafter

Hi Anotherone: Sure, I've firmly adopted the procedure you suggested to me some months ago at router changeovers.
When I'm testing routers, at some point I need to be a close as possible (above) to a profile boundary that I'm trying to reach (usually the highest I think likely) so that I don't carry unneccesary excess sync (and consequent higher errors). That means that any time I need to adjust to a new profile boundary, I usually have to have 2 or 3 resyncs - usually with a tweak-SNRM adjustment between each - or, in the case of the Billion 7300, by resyncing at a moment in time where the difference between 6 and the prevailing SNRM seems likely to result in producing the required rate. When my target SNRM was 9, I always did this very cautiously indeed over an hour or so, but as I'm back at 15, I don't now worry. Given my previous experiences in asking for SNRM reduction, I'm unlikely to ask again, tho I may (!)  try a hands-off-for-4-weeks.....realistically, I'm fairly content using the tweakable or hardwired SNRM routers. I may even put my excess HGVs onto Ebay!
Anotherone
Champion

Do you think you have a fault still?
jack21
Grafter

Apart from the iffy Plusnet profile which has now been out of sync with the BT one on 3 occasions in the past few weeks, and which sometimes and sometimes-not affects speedtests, no, I don't think there is any fault - the biggie (neighbour's noisy power extension - has been cured. The sync rate I'm getting is perhaps even above the theoretical rate for this length/attenuated line, and the evening SNRM drop seems in line with what others report, and is gradual and not 'spikey' - 3 db from top to bottom.
jack21
Grafter

Update: Suddenly, after 2+ days of the Plusnet profile being at 750 and having no effect on thruput - ie I get speedtests of 1450, and the BT profile at 1500 and sync rate above 1800.....after powering off the router overnight and restarting this morning, the Plusnet profile of 750 is now taking effect, and speedtests are 690 - tho the sync rate is above 1800 and the BT profile remains firmly at 1500.
Very odd!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Just how are profiles applied?

Hi jack21,
I've just checked your profile at this end and it's set to 1500, though the BT profile is set at 750 on a couple of systems. Not sure why that is, but it should sort itself out soon.
jack21
Grafter

OK, will wait and see. BT Speedtest done right now shows profile as 1500,  thruput at 523 , and sync at 1880.