cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just had a suspicious call

jibstar1uk
Dabbler

Just had a suspicious call

Just had a phonecall from someone claiming to be from BT saying that someone my internet connection was being hacked.

I was transferred to another person claiming to be from the National Crime Agency, asking me to install quick support on my phone. Asking em to open my email account and banking app.

Then I had to install my Ultraviewer onto my desktop and then I was asked to enter my debit card details into cmd.exe and then scan my computer.

10 REPLIES 10
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Just had a suspicious call

And you're only suspicious that it might not have been legitimate?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

jibstar1uk
Dabbler

Yes

Baldrick1

Then be assured that it was a fraudster, i trust that you did not follow these instructions. 

Moderator and Customer

jibstar1uk
Dabbler

I typed the card number and expiry date but not the CVV number.

Baldrick1

Then get on to your bank straight away and tell them what's happened.

Moderator and Customer

Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Hello @jibstar1uk,

Thank you for getting in touch.

This is almost certainly a scam and I did hope that you did not enter your debit card details into the command prompt. These type of scams and nuisance calls are quite common and I would recommend adding Plusnet Call Protect onto your phone service if you haven't already. You can add call protect here and find more information on preventing these calls here.

As you have entered your card details, please contact your bank as soon as possible to make them aware that you are potentially a victim of fraud. This should ensure that your bank account is monitored for suspicious activity and/or frozen to stop unauthorised transactions.

Thanks again.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional
chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Hi there @Jubby ,

I often get calls, on my landline, from my doctor's surgery with number withheld.

How can I enable their withheld number but block others, if I go for my call protect.

Thanks and will appreciate your help.

Chandu.

LaurenB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 131

Hi @chandu, thanks for getting in touch.

I'm afraid as the number is witheld, there would be no way in which to specifically allow them through (as we there would be no number to differentiate and recognise it was someone specific calling).

In this instance I would recommend not blocking witheld numbers, or alternatively you could request that your Doctors surgery don't withold their number when contacting you.

Hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lauren Barry
 Plusnet Help Team
Baldrick1

@chandu wrote:

Hi there @Jubby ,

I often get calls, on my landline, from my doctor's surgery with number withheld.

How can I enable their withheld number but block others, if I go for my call protect.

Thanks and will appreciate your help.

Chandu.

The answer is to buy a phone with BT Call Guardian built in such as https://www.amazon.co.uk/BT-Nuisance-Blocker-Cordless-Machine-Black-Silver/dp/B01AAGIIXE/ref=asc_df_...

The way that this works is that whe, for example,  your doctor’s surgery rings they will receive a recorded message asking to identify themself then press the hash button. Only after this key is pressed does the phone ring, the caller is identified and you will be asked if you want to take the call.

These scammers use automatic callers. These fail to negotiate this procedure. I have had one of this type of phones for years and in this time not one scam call has got through. 

You can add any caller who identifies their number into the phones permitted caller list, these get through normally.

Moderator and Customer

chandu
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

@LaurenB and @Baldrick1 ,

Thank you very much for your suggestion/s.  I need to have serious discussion with my doctor's surgery admin manager with regard to their number withheld issue and see how far I get.

Thank you all.

Many regards,

Chandu.