cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got fibre, not impressed with the router

davethir
Grafter

Just got fibre, not impressed with the router

Hi, i have recently upgraded to fibre and am very happy with the speed, however i am not very happy with the supplied router, it is only 2.4 Ghz and only 150M/s Wireless N. the router it replaced was a dual band and 300Mb/s, so i would like to know what other routers am i able to use. I would also like to run a VPN through PPTP, my router at the moment connects to Plusnet using PPOE using my credentials, could i just change to PPTP and use the credentials of my VPN provider?.
Any help would be appreciated
4 REPLIES 4
Ronski
Rising Star

Re: Just got fibre, not impressed with the router

As I understand it you can use any router that supports PPOE, but you want one with Gigabit ports, then you can be pretty sure it will be able to handle the through put of the fibre connection.
davethir
Grafter

Yes i have a router that i would like to use, it has DD-WRT firmware installed and i was wondering can i just enter the details of my VPN account in the username and password fields of the PPTP setup or must i use the username and password given to me by plusnet. and use PPOE, again any help will be appreciated(the basic setup page has a drop down which has PPTP and PPOE options on)
Ronski
Rising Star

The router uses PPOE to tell the BT Fibre modem your plus net username and password login details , I'm not sure about the VPN details, but I would at a guess say they have nothing to do with your plus net login, and would be entered elsewhere.
Perhaps have a read of this http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Static_PPTP_VPN_Client
davethir
Grafter

thanks for the help, I will definitely be ditching the supplied router and getting a different one