cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just connected to fibre and speeds are far lower than speeds quoted on order!!

mattprince
Grafter

Just connected to fibre and speeds are far lower than speeds quoted on order!!

Hi,
When I ordered this fibre unlimited online I was quoted as 47MB down and19MB up. Then I had an email a few days later saying thank you for the order and your speeds will be 45MB down and 5MB up. A big difference in upload speed from the original quote.
Anyway, had it installed yesterday and was told by the engineer my line was doing 38MB down and 6MB up. That's a lot lower than I was quoted.
I called today and spoke to somebody in support and was told the following.. "You would have been quoted 47/19 originally and then plusnet now know that more people are being signed up so the speed will have dropped" I asked that if that's true, the more people that get signed up to fibre, the slower my line will be over time then surely, giving the same logic. I was told no it doesn't work like that.
Can somebody please advise if im getting fobbed off as nearly 10MB difference in download speed and 13MB in upload speed is a hell of a lot to just "lose"
Matt
19 REPLIES 19
mattprince
Grafter

Re: Just connected to fibre and speeds are far lower than speeds quoted on order!!

This is what it says on plusnet site...

Postcode:Phone exchange:ALSAGER
Estimated line speed:46Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) 
- Checked on 2013-02-01 20:11:34
Current line speed:78 Mb
mattprince
Grafter

Re: Just connected to fibre and speeds are far lower than speeds quoted on order!!

Just tested speed on plusnet site...
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi,
I'm really sorry to hear that you're receiving lower speeds than your estimate that was originally given. I can completely understand that you signed up with the intention of getting the estimates that were shown. The estimates shown on our systems are 33Mb // 6Mb.
The estimates may not have taken into consideration any aluminum cable that may be present in between your property and your cabinet. I appreciate that you feel you've lost out with the speeds you do have, however, the estimates that are now showing aren't too far off what you are now getting.
If you would like your line looking into further, I would suggest raising a fault with us at http://faults.plus.net but we do work by the current estimate given by our suppliers.
englishrick
Grafter

It better not be that low when I get it on Friday, Im in Alsager as well !!!!! Ive been promised 59/18
mattprince
Grafter

Ive just been on bt.com and put in my neighbours postcode to check the speed he could get with a new fibre order and its come back 46.9/6.9 so im thinking there is something wrong. When the engineer came in , he said "oh brill , you've got the wiring already in, ive only got change a few things over". This wiring has been in for the last 10yrs+ so has he rushed a job? If I go onto bt.com and put in my address details it says 33/5 and I think it does that as it k nows what speeds im getting now and has adjusted its estimates.
Do you think ive been robbed of the extra speed by a shoddy install?Huh
Matt
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for getting back to us Matt, can see you've raised a fault which is definitely advisable, keep us posted as to how things progress with that.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mattprince
Grafter

Hi,
Will do. The dsl light went out on the router today. Had to reset the router twice for it to come back on. I do think the reason its showing on bt wholesale as 33 now is because it has been updated to my speed. Im no further away from the cabinet as my next door neighbours and its showing 47 for them.
mattprince
Grafter

Could somebody check if im on the 40 profile or the 80? If the 40 , would putting me on the 80 improve my speeds closer to what I was promised?
Matt
mattprince
Grafter

This is getting ridiculous... Speed are lower tonight than when I was on normal broadband...
mattprince
Grafter

When I was on sky , it was only 8mb connection , but it was 8mb forever, 24/7 , never any slow down. There hasn't been a night yet , where the speed hasn't been much lower at night. Whats going on?Huh
mattprince
Grafter

BT Wholesale says the following... (far lower than the 47mb down and 19mb up I was promised on order....

mattprince
Grafter

and now says this...
Joopzor
Grafter

have u done a tracert to bbc.co.uk? as you could be connected to one of the servers getting problems at peak time!
mattprince
Grafter