Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just checking before complaining!

BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Just checking before complaining!

If there have been floods in the area then it's certainly possible that some wiring has been damaged / corroded slightly. Your connection's been dropping but I don't know whether or not this is from you rebooting and moving things around or not. Can you leave the router powered up and plugged in for 72 hours, we can then see if it's stable and where we can go from there.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

If there have been floods in the area then it's certainly possible that some wiring has been damaged / corroded slightly.

My area wasn't affected at all by the flood water. The next town was but the internet in my town was off for 24hrs. That's why have left it for so long before doing anything because I had put it down to maybe some of their traffic might have being going through our exchanges.
Looking at other peoples connections no one else seems to be affected.
I don't generally move my equipment around, I have only been rebooting my router once per day to test my sync speed after rebooting other than this I only reboot once a week on a saturday morning.
I have never suffered any disconnections online, they may be happening without me know though the router is in the hallway next to the socket.
I'll try and get a longer graph. I have noticed that late in the evenings my snr goes wild. Its stable at 12 db all day and early evening but later on it plummets dropping anywhere between 2 and 12 could this be an answer?
I can't find what's causing the noise, possibilities are my old lap top with a dodgy battery or maybe the ethernet wall plug adapters. I did try testing without the adapters and there was a slight improvement but not much.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Sounds like some electrical interference from somewhere. Definitely leave everything powered up for 72 hours and we'll see where we can go from there.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Ok will do. How do I get the full graph off 72 hours on the screen? I think it only saves so many points. Do you think it will be an idea to try switching on suspected things and remember the times for the graph to see what effect they have or leave them right out the equation, just wondering what would give you more info?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

We'll be checking your RADIUS logs, times of switching things off / on would definitely be useful, thanks.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

I'm in the middle of doing the 72 hour test, How do I make all the graph appear on one capture?
PN rang me and said that my ip profile has been fluctuating between 2500 and 3000 for the last 6 months, not sure why that would be.
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

A fluctuation of 500kbps in your profile is normal behaviour and nothing to worry about.
We have to generate the graphs manually, please post back when the 72 hours have elapsed and we can post them for you.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Quick update
Now 48 hrs into the test. The only thing noticeable from the graphs so far is that my SNR goes wild at street lighting times. I tried last night with the ethernet wall plugs disconnected, the only thing going on was the main pc directly into the xte face plate. I think I can now rule out noise from my fish tank pumps etc as there was nothing significant on the graphs when this was on with everything running so I'm guessing here the wall plugs and the tank are not creating the noise on the line.
That leads me to other possibilities, what about the phone line wired into the back of the xte face plate, could it be acting as an antennae? I thought that wiring it directly into the face plate should eliminate this problem or have I picked that up wrong?
The noise at street lights on until off is a worry, my snr often gets down in the minus figures from generally 12db although it has to be said I have yet not suffered any disconnections. The lamp post out the back of my house went out a few months back so utilities people came out and changed a fuse on it, a couple of week after that there was a fireworks display on it with blue flames arching out in the rain. Turned out that a gland had been split and water was getting into the live wires  Shocked anyway road was dug up and it was fixed, could this be a suspect?
Only other things is router which I'm going to setup my free 1 port one supplied by PN that's never been used, my old linksys wag354g is prob 7 or 8 years old and may be failing but seems to much of a coincidence that all the noise starts and finishes in street lighting times.  
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The phone line is supposed to be wired to the back of the faceplate, do you have any internal extensions?
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

No extensions, I have my router plugged directly into the face plate with a decent cable. I have my two sky boxes wired directly into the back of the face plate. The ps3 is plugged into wall plug adapters on hard wire through the 240v sockets and everything else is on wireless.
I got grief from Sky last time I pulled these wires which caused problems previously but that was on an extension cable plugged into face plate as oppose to hard wired to the back.
I think I'm out of contract with Sky so might be worth pulling them out again see if it makes a difference?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Those Sky wires should be post-filter, and it sounds like they're not filtered at all? Definitely pull them, you can always replace them with a standard telephone extension cable (into a filter) if needs be.
AWB70
Aspiring Pro

Just making sure were both reading from the same page! The faceplate filters the adsl signal from the phone and the Sky wires are directly into the filtered side. So is this not right?
If I pull these wires then put a standard phone connector on the end then I surely don't need a filter as the face plate has built in filter?
There is some evidence to support the case which would make sense, after the floods things were running on red at the exchange and about two months afterwards I had the Sky wires fitted! Maybe it was just recovering when the lines made it worse  Undecided
I suppose I will be ok stopping my 72hours test while I pull the wires or wait until it's finished?
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

If they're hard wired they might not be filtered. If they're on a standard telephone style plug then they will be. In any case, you're not going to make things any worse by removing them. You can pull the wires at any point, just make a note of the date / time so that we can compare this with our logs. Taking a note of your router stats before and after might be useful, too.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I assume you have a filtered faceplate
BenTrimble
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: AverageWhiteBloke
The faceplate filters the adsl signal from the phone

Sounds like it!