cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just changed router but sync is still low

GeoffLane
Dabbler

Just changed router but sync is still low

Hopefully, I'm missing something simple here but I've searched this page linked from the 'read this first' topic and didn't find what I needed.
My old router failed and I temporarily installed my spare router, which is only good for 8Mbps. I replaced my spare with an ADSL2+ router a few hours ago but the download speed remains below 8Mbps and my sync speed is still 7.1Mbps. I used to get about 18Mbps from the old router, so I guess that BT have dropped my sync rate to match the the spare router that was in place for a few days and DLM etc. hasn't yet adjusted to the capabilities of the new router.
Should this adjustment be automatic? If so, how long do BT usually take? If not, how do I get my sync speed matched to what the new router can provide?
All help gratefully received,
Geoff
4 REPLIES 4
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Just changed router but sync is still low

Hi there,
Records are showing a max sync of 8128 at the moment, but it looks like you've disconnected and reconnected a few times to try and improve things - I wouldn't do any more of that today as it's likely to drop the profile further. Best bet would be to just resync it once a day as close to lunchtime as possible and it should pick up, unless there's a manual setting in the router which sets whether it's adsl or adsl2+?
If it hasn't improved over the weekend (and it's remained stable) then we'll look at resetting the SNR and retraining the line for you.
GeoffLane
Dabbler

Thanks, Matt.
WRT the disconnections, Murphy's Law struck big time today: Another part of my town suffered electrical problems and the electric company caused momentary power outages as they switched the power around the affected area. Needless to say, each outage caused a reboot of my router. Also, the temporary router I had in place lost DNS at least once per day, and so needed rebooting each time (which probably hasn't helped).
That said, I'm not too concerned if DLM takes a few days to optimise provided that the SNR and sync are sorted out in that timescale. For info, the router reports connection speeds of 21521 kbps down and 1079 kpbs up.
Thanks again,
Geoff
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmm. Well the latest connection has now been ongoing for 18 hours which is hopeful, if you think the connection is now stable we could do the SNR reset today rather than after the weekend if you wish - bear in mind though that if there is a flurry of drops over the weekend this will cause havoc with the line retraining which is the reason I'm wanting to confirm this with you instead of just doing it.
Please let us know, cheers.
GeoffLane
Dabbler

Hi Matt, and thanks for the reply.
I rebooted my router just prior to getting your reply, otherwise I'm confident it would have continued to maintain the connection. That said, there shouldn't be a need for you to intervene if the system will resolve itself to give me 'full bore' speed within a week or so.
For info, my system is currently under SIP brute-force attack and has been since Sunday. So I might need to change config at times over the weekend and might also need to reboot the router. It would thus probably be best to wait until either the LARTs I've sent have been acted upon or the attacking system has run out of extension/password combinations! (FWIW, the attack continues even though fail2ban jailed the attacker's IP address within minutes and my system has dropped every packet from them since!)
Thanks again,
Geoff
Edited to add: at 07:30 on 15/10/12: I see that my connection was reset (by the telco?) this morning. I've just done a speed test and got ~18Mbps down and ~0.9Mbps up -- Thanks.