Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just been switched to ADSL2+

JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Just been switched to ADSL2+

I asked PN for a manual switch to ADSL2+ and it looks like the change probably happened yesterday (a couple of days earlier than advised - something to do with Openreach Sunday overtime rates?  ::))
Download sync is about 1500kbps better at 8957kbps, upload sync a fraction worse at 400kbps, attentuation 3db higher (expected) at 38db and downstream SNR margin very similar or perhaps a tad better at 11-12db.
I presume I am in the 10 day retraining period now;  just a couple of questions:
1) Given the above stats am I likely to eventually get the roughly 11000-12000kpbs suggested by Kitz et al, or is this probably about as good as it will get?
2) The BT speedtester now repeatedly reports "error" and is unable to complete the test - is this normal for the retraining period following the switch to ADSL2+?
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Just been switched to ADSL2+

Kitz calculator estimates are based on a target noise margin ratio of 6dB. Yours appears to be 12dB; 3dB increase in target noise margin ratio at these sorts of speeds reduces sync speed by around 1000kbps so your sync speed seems of the order expected. You will be in a 10-day training (or stabilisation) period so it is possible that the DLM might make changes during this period. However the 21CN DLM is much more active (some use the term "aggressive") than that on 20CN and will make changes beyond the stabilisation period which it considers feasible.
The performance tester error should go away in 24 hours or so once BT have completed the 'admin' side of your move to 21CN.
David
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Also your upload speed can be unlocked (i.e. get faster) as the normal move is to keep the upload the same when going from 20CN to 21CN. But wait until the 10 day training period has completed and you have a stable connection.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI JayG,
I've performed some maintenance on your account, moved your profile up a little. I'd like to do more, but for now we'll have to see what happens in the training period.
Jojo Smiley
JayG
Pro

Thanks for your replies, and thanks to Jojo - I'll start counting to 10 (days, that is!!)  Smiley
JayG
Pro

Well outside the 10 day training period now; the only visible changes have been a change to "interleave off" (which may have been due to Joanne's intervention) and a slight reduction in D/S SNRM (usually 7.5db down to 4.8db although strangely after an occasional GUI reboot (just to see what happens!) it rises to around 9db before gradually falling away to the first values.
No problem with maintaining the connection with these stats (which haven't changed significantly since the 3rd day after the ADSL2+ switch) but I note that the Plusnet "Current line speed" is only 7.1Mb compared with the BT speedtester IP profile of 8595Kbps (DSL Connection rate is 9743Kbps)
This is presumably why I'm now only achieving a throughput of 6337Kbps although if I remember correctly it has been near to 8000Kbps recently.
Could the PN profile be reset please, and could you also arrange to have the upload cap (currently 443Kbps) removed if this is the right place to ask?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi JayG,
I have updated your profile to 8500 to allow for you new BT IP profile. This should take effect in the next 15 minutes.
Jojo Smiley
JayG
Pro

Thanks Jojo - that worked fine - now 8500.  Smiley
Looking at my online speedtest.net "history" my connection was reportedly performing at about 8Mb around the early/middle part of last week, so although the BT profile has been consistent, the PN profile appears to have subsequently dropped back to 7.1Mb for no apparent reason!  Huh  (Roll on the "glorious 12th" of December, with everything crossed!)  Smiley