cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just activated and utterly confused

doublewhopper
Dabbler

Just activated and utterly confused

Okay, so I have a BT Voyager 210 ASDL Router. I downloaded and unzipped the latest driver for this. I then went to internet options and set the homepage to blank. I then plugged in the Router and it says its sucessfully installed. The USB and ASDL lights on it are solid green. The instructions then say open a blank page and insert the ISP address, and a screen will come up asking for my username and password. However when attempt to put in the ISP address, it just says I am not connected to the internet etc. Anyone be able to offer any suggestions?
22 REPLIES 22
paulby
Grafter

Re: Just activated and utterly confused

In the address bar at the top of the blank page type
http://192.168.1.1
and hit return (with the router connected with an ethernet cable - the yellow one provided with the voyager if memory serves)
You may be prompted for the router's username and password which should both be "admin".
After you enter those you should then be presented with the page to enter your PN username and password
(dont forget to enter the @plusdsl.net part of your username i.e. username@plusdsl.net)
doublewhopper
Dabbler

I have tried that...when i enter that ISP number, I do not get the screen asking me to enter my username etc, i get a page saying I am not connected to the Internet.
paulby
Grafter

Are you using the ethernet cable or the USB cable?
If you're using the ethernet cable try the following:
If you're running Xp go to the Control Panel and Nertwok Connections.  Look for the connection that says "LAN or High Speed Internet" and right click on it.  Select "ENABLE" and try everything again.
doublewhopper
Dabbler

I was using the USB cable...I was rather hoping to use the ethernet cable to connect my xbox 360 to my laptop, but i'll give what you say a try.
doublewhopper
Dabbler

I've tried that...the thing is, it says the connection is 'unplugged' but when i right click on it the option is 'disable' not enable, as if its already connected.  I don't get it at all.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

First obvious question - did PlusNet supply the router? If so, call them for help.
If not you probably need to set up the software from scratch following the instructions that came with it; this WILL be a different process if you use USB as opposed to Ethernet.
If you choose USB then it will probably only connect when your PC tells it to, normally through defining some sort of dial-up connection (a bit like a traditional telephone modem), but the install process will do that for you. So if you want the ethernet port for an Xbox you'll possibly need the PC on to kick-start the connection.
It sounds like you may be mixing up the USB and Ethernet instructions and using bits of each....
If your PC has an ethernet port (sounds like it does) you would be better buying a 4-port ADSL router like a Netgear DG834xxxx.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

The 210 should be fine. If you need more ethernet ports buy a switch (easy to find for around £5) and plug that in to the router.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Trouble is that it's (I just reread the original post) a BT supplied unit, so it's preconfigured with the logon for a BT broadband line (which needs no password) and you need BT's software to drive it via USB.
Best to remove all the USB drivers and BT software and configure via the web interface as noted above; it should be possible to change the logon. Then adding a cheap hub to share the link (as also suggested above) is very easy once it's working.
However if the PC has been migrated from BT (USB) it could well have dial-up connections defined that will confuse things considerably in IE and Outlook unless they're removed. Hence the "not connected" messages.....  Lips_are_sealed
doublewhopper
Dabbler

Quote from: HPsauce
First obvious question - did PlusNet supply the router? If so, call them for help.
If not you probably need to set up the software from scratch following the instructions that came with it; this WILL be a different process if you use USB as opposed to Ethernet.
If you choose USB then it will probably only connect when your PC tells it to, normally through defining some sort of dial-up connection (a bit like a traditional telephone modem), but the install process will do that for you. So if you want the ethernet port for an Xbox you'll possibly need the PC on to kick-start the connection.
It sounds like you may be mixing up the USB and Ethernet instructions and using bits of each....
If your PC has an ethernet port (sounds like it does) you would be better buying a 4-port ADSL router like a Netgear DG834xxxx.

They didn't supply it.  It was an unlocked router i had spare that had never been used before.   I did use the instructions with it to set up the software from scratch.  As I stated in the first post, i downloaded the latest driver for this router from the BT website. Then when i plugged in the router from the USB it installed successfully. It just the entering of the ISP that doesnt work.  I then tried it with the ethernet instead, and found that created a LAN and it did ask me for the Username and password when i put in the ISP address...but it didnt actually put me online, the network was only local.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I'd stick to the ethernet connection (that almost certainly doesn't require any drivers installing as they will be for a USB connection).
It sounds as if you have not entered your username/password correctly. The username (assuming you are on Plusnet) will be
username@plusdsl.net
You can find it on this page.
doublewhopper
Dabbler

Quote from: jelv
I'd stick to the ethernet connection (that almost certainly doesn't require any drivers installing as they will be for a USB connection).
It sounds as if you have not entered your username/password correctly. The username (assuming you are on Plusnet) will be
username@plusdsl.net
You can find it on this page.

I entered it correctly.  It logged me in successfully with the ethernet cable.  But the little network icon in the tray in the bottom right of the screen says I was only locally connected and not connected to the internet.
paulby
Grafter

Username and password when i put in the ISP address

Was that just after you entered http://192.168.1.1?
If it's the box that comes up immediately after you hit returm in your browser you need to enter admin as the user and admin again as the password.  You will then move onto the router page where you can enter your PlusNet details i.e. username@plusdsl.net and your password.  Remember to hit "connect"!

If you're still really stuck, give support a call on 0114 296 5198 - they're there round the clock!
Also - are you running any software firewalls (including the Windows firewall)?  Make sure that the network is in the trusted zone (or temporarily disable the firewall to see if you can connect).  If you're using Vista and the Windows Firewall make sure the network location is set to "Private".
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Assuming you have entered the details correctly as Paul03 says, have you tried to access anything on the internet?
Have you checked the router status page to see if it says you are connected? (Haven't got that router so can't point you in the correct direction)
What the router gives you is an local area network (LAN) and it acts as a gateway to connect you out to the internet. So I would expect the connection icon in the system tray to say you are connected locally.
If you can't access the internet and the router says it is connected it probably means that your PC is configured incorrectly. In the properties of the Local Area Connection find TCP/IP and open it's properties.
If you have "Obtain an IP address automatically" enabled you need to make sure DHCP is turned on in the router.
If that option is turned off, the default gateway must be the IP address you use to access the router.
doublewhopper
Dabbler

Quote from: Paul03
Username and password when i put in the ISP address

Was that just after you entered http://192.168.1.1?
If it's the box that comes up immediately after you hit returm in your browser you need to enter admin as the user and admin again as the password.  You will then move onto the router page where you can enter your PlusNet details i.e. username@plusdsl.net and your password.  Remember to hit "connect"!

If you're still really stuck, give support a call on 0114 296 5198 - they're there round the clock!
Also - are you running any software firewalls (including the Windows firewall)?  Make sure that the network is in the trusted zone (or temporarily disable the firewall to see if you can connect).  If you're using Vista and the Windows Firewall make sure the network location is set to "Private".

After i entered the http://192.168.1.1 it asked for my ISP username and password, so i put in the plusnet one and that allowed me to log on, there was no need to input 'admin' into anything.  Once i put my username in it said "you can now browse the internet"; the problem of course being that I can't.  When i clicked into advanced options, a box popped up and thats what i entered 'admin' into, and that allowed me to access the advanced options, where I saw that the settings were all as they should be, according to the router's instructions. 
I shall check if there's an issue with firewalls.