Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Just Joined from Virgin but slow speeds

Quote from: Anotherone
I sometimes wonder if my posts are invisible Roll_eyes

AO,
Not at all, perish the thought, as if, never!  Cheesy
I just did a quick backward scan to give Chris a point of reference...
Quote from: Chris
Hitting this thread somewhat blind ...

...to the last key CRT touch!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrG
Grafter

Yes, the PC was not only turned off, but unplugged!
Sorry about the typo!  CW1308 it is!
No, the bell wire is disconnected (was done a long long time ago), just the blue/white and white/blue connected
Correct, secondary jack is a 'proper one' and has no cap or resistor.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Ah, right, was hoping we might have a sudden cure, but I was guessing it was unlikely as I'd also guessed you are no novice to the basics.
Back to the drawing board. I'm pondering this 96 second periodicity.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Beat pattern between two sources of interference?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, I'd have to admit that's possible, what possible sources of stable interference might generate a stable beat pattern of 96 seconds?
I can see your suggestions for this running into pages Tongue
Oh well, it will be an interesting diversion  Huh
MrG
Grafter

Hi
Just a quick update.
The DS seems to have settled down at 1.65Mbps
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.65 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2.3 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 2 Mbps
Here are a few more graphs from RSL
I think that I'll leave it alone for now, but I am concerned about AO's statement that when (if!) FTTC comes next year, I will not be able to benefit from it due to this noise issue.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

MrG,
Given that your SNRM is consistently running above 6dB, this suggests that when the router last re-synch'd there was some noise present on the line.
If during day light hours, you do a graceful PPP drop, power the router off for 5 mins and then restart it (you might need to go into the router GUI to manually bring up PPP) you ought to see a slight increase in synch speed with a SNRM of 6dB.
HTH,
Kevin

MrG
Grafter

Hi Kevin
I've just done exactly as you said.
The result:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.01 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.2 Mbps-1 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :1.18 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1 Mbps
As you can see BS is now 1Mbps and IP Profile is now 1Mbps
What has gone wrong?  Will it come back to the 2Mbps IP Profile and 1.65Mbps DS that I had before?
Anotherone
Champion

Kevin, it's a shame you didn't read my reply #74 or MrG's reply #60 (my bold) before making your suggestion. Also, there is next to no difference between night-time and daytime SNRM, that a "resync" would likely achieve very little or nothing anyway. This is a 20CN connection as well, I cannot continue to stress sufficiently that some stability is needed!
Quote from: MrG
Well, in my desperation to improve my speed, I resorted to the trick with the 7800 of spoofing the SNR.
I reduced it from 15 down to 7dB.

Quote from: Anotherone
........ don't forget to do a graceful disconnect and if powering off the 7800N upsets the Target SNRM setting, don't forget to redo it.

MrG, before you do another graceful disconnect & power down to resolve this (after which it may take 12 hrs for the profile to recover once you've got the sync speed back) can you post a SNRM graph or 2 at the current speed.
Quote from: MrG
........ but I am concerned about AO's statement that when (if!) FTTC comes next year, I will not be able to benefit from it due to this noise issue

I hadn't meant to imply you won't benefit, just that the performance you will get will be well down on what might be otherwise achievable.
I wouldn't worry too much, at the moment it's a case of slowly slowly catchee monkey whilst we look at ways of discovering the source of this unusual pattern of interference.
MrG
Grafter

Hi AO and Kevin
Of course I forgot to save the SNR tweak, hence the reason the SNRM went back up to 16dB.
Luckily I started running RSL again to see what had gone wrong and spotted the 16dB rather than 7dB figure that I had before.
I've now put the tweak back on and saved the config this time.
Still only got a 1Mbps DS and IP Profile, but I hope that will come back to 1.65Mbps/2Mbps over the next few hours.
I attach the RSL graph, but I suspect that it's probably not much use at present.
I'll leave it running and post a couple more later, if that will help.
Anotherone
Champion

Hmm, yes please a few more graphs, that short one is looking slightly different. Do you also have one when it was 16dB?
MrG
Grafter

Sadly no, only the first couple of minutes of the one just posted.  It was that which made me realise about the SNR tweak not being on.
Anotherone
Champion

So how has your connection been fairing?
MrG
Grafter

Hi AO
Quick answer is not too badly.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 1.68 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.4 Mbps-2 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2.11 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 1.75 Mbps
As you can see, the IP Profile has settled down at 1.75Mbps and a DS of 1.68Mbps.
This is about what I was getting when I was on Virgin.
I've attached a couple of RSL plots.  These still show the noise that's there all the time, but I'm no closer to tracing the source.
Anotherone
Champion

Well the one bit of could news is your speed holding up at the moment, lets hope that continues.
The difficulty with trying to track down interference like that, is that it's there all the time, so when listening with an AM/MW radio at various points in the band, you can't tell if you are listening to the right noise. That is only certain when you see the noise disappear from the graph and hear it stop on the radio, because you will often find many similar noises up and down the band, the majority of which aren't strong enough to cause a major issue to the broadband. Whilst there appeared to be some sort of ~96 second periodicity in the amplitude, the actual frequency of the interference will be a lot higher.
But when you have a few minutes periodically, to twiddle your radio dial, have a tune up and down starting around 612kHz and see what very strong noises you find. The ferrite rod in the radio will give you some direction finding ability and the noise may get stronger as you near the phone line or certainly the source. But as I said be aware, there's lots of noise that can appear strong near the line etc that won't be causing your issue.