Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Joined from Virgin but slow speeds

MrG
Grafter

Just Joined from Virgin but slow speeds

Hi
Like one of the other recent posters on here, I was forced to leave Virgin Media after being dumped by them onto Talk Talk, 
I live in a rural area and with VM I was consistently getting speeds of 1.5 to 1.7Mbps, with an IP profile of 2Mbps.
I now have a speed of 0.7Mbps, with an IP profile of 0.75Mbps.
I realise that it can take 72 hours for things to stabilise, but I'm now past that time and still have the same abysmally slow speed.
As it is still the same BT OR copper wires as VM were using, surely the speeds from both ISPs should be similar.
Has anyone else had the same problem and can Plusnet do anything about it?
89 REPLIES 89
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: Just Joined from Virgin but slow speeds

Hi and welcome to PN
What exchange are you on?  A potential difference is that BT still only have ADSL available in your area but TT had ADSL2+.  That said, your line would have to be very long to see that performance difference.
Can you post the line stats from the router?
MrG
Grafter

Hi
I'm on the Sutton Scotney exchange which is 20CN with no LLU, so all connection is provided by BT OR.
https://www.samknows.com/broadband/exchange/STSSCOT
Are these the line stats that you wanted?
Line Rate - Upstream (Kbps): 448
Line Rate - Downstream (Kbps): 1088
If not, please point me in the right direction (it's a SAGEM 2704N)
Thanks
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Ignore my ramblings about TT - Friday afternoon brainfade!  You're right to expect identical performance to VM as the line will be supplied through the same kit - Doh  Crazy
Can you post the line attenuation and SNR figures?
Also, if you still have your old VM router you could try using that instead of the Sagemcom to see if that helps?
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

After looking at the line the SNR is a bit higher than ideal (15db), which is causing the speeds to be reduced. However the line test is saying that your line is showing an error nearly every second, so the SNR being so high is to try and stop these errors causing disconnections.
Is the router in the master socket? Is there any noise on your phone line at all - plug a single handset in to the master socket, dial 17070 and do the quiet line test. Listen for any noises.
Attenuation is 63.5db
SNR Margin 15db
Indicative Line Quality:  R  Mean Time Between Errors Downstream (Seconds): 
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MrG
Grafter

Hi to both of you
Chris has kindly provided the Attenuation and SNR figures.  Not sure how I can get these from my router.
Have done the 17070 Quiet Line test and it's very clean with no noises.
Yes, the router is plugged directly into the master socket where the BT line comes into the house.
My 'old' router was a Billion BiPac 7300G.  As mentioned previously, I was getting a consistent 1.5 to 1.7Mbps with this on VM.
I assume that if I change it back it is going to take sometime for the line to readjust?
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Depending on DLM it can take a while for the SNR target to drop.
While your line quality is red it won't be on the cards.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
MrG
Grafter

Hi Matthew
Are you saying that my speed may still go back up to 1.5Mbps in time?
If so, how long is this likely to take?
I still do not understand why it has dropped so much, as it was fine and stable at 1.5Mbps until the day Plusnet took over.
Certainly at the moment the line still has an IP profile of 0.75Mbps.  It used to be 2Mbps.  Does this indicate a line fault that has mysteriously appeared on the day that PN took it over?
Thanks
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

MrG,
There is merit in reconfiguring your old router to use your PlusNET username and password to see what it delivers.  As Matthew has said, whilst the line remains red, the chances of DLM doing anything useful on its own are non-existent.
The cause of the error rate needs to be identified and rectified.  There is a remote possibility that there is an issue with the new router / PSU.
A line reset might required to see any benefit in swapping routers, but swapping is a useful step on the investigatory process.  Consider raising a fault report using the link below.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrG
Grafter

Thanks Townman
I've now put the Billion router back in, configured for Plusnet.
All connects ok (hence this post!)
Speed obviously still at 0.7Mbps, see BT speed test below.
Download speed achieved during the test was - 0.7 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 0.2 Mbps-1 Mbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :2.24 Mbps(DOWN-STREAM), 0.45 Mbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 0.75 Mbps
You mentioned a line reset - who does this?
I've also posted my connection details below from my PN high-speed broadband page
Estimated line speed: 1.5Mb (This may vary between 0.5Mb and 2.5Mb) - Checked on 2015-04-19 15:26:20
Current line speed: 0.75 Mb
Thanks
Paul
MrG
Grafter

and some stats from the Billion router
ADSL Mode
Modulator
DSP FirmwareVersion DMT FwVer: 3.5.18.0_A_TC, HwVer:T14F7_1.0
DMT Status Up
Operational Mode ADSL G.Dmt
Upstream 448 kbps
Downstream 2240 kbps
Noise Margin (Upstream) 16.0 db
Noise Margin (Downstream) 5.5 db
Attenuation (Upstream) 31.5 db
Attenuation (Downstream) 63.5 db
I notice that the SNR has dropped to 5.5db from 13.5db on the PN router - is that significant
Hope these help!
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Based on the connection rate downstream of 2240, your IP profile should be 1750, so achieving the real-world speeds of 1500 downstream should be possible. I'd suggest leaving the Billion router on the line - it may take a day or two for the IP profile and Plusnet Current Line Speed to catch up, or perhaps the CRT will request a SNR reset for you.
Either way, you should end up getting the same speed as you were with your previous supplier.
MrG
Grafter

Thanks Brian
This is rather as I thought.  Does this mean that the PN supplied Sagem router is defective, or just not very good?
I'll leave the Billion connected and see what happens.
Will a line reset help?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

MrG,
Something is a little odd here - for the reported DS attenuation your synch speed is way better than that predicted by the speed calculators (1792kbps).  Can you put your phone number in here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php - and see what line lengths are reported.
Your line's attenuation suggests that its length is well over 4km at which point some routers are going to struggle, others will do better.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MrG
Grafter

Hi Townman
The Kitz ADSL Checker says that I'm 3.5km from the exchange in a straight line and 6km by road.
I know that the actual line length is about 5.5km.
Having experienced speeds of around 1.5Mbps for the past 5 years or more with Virgin using the Billion router, I'm a little frustrated that Plusnet can not provide similar.
I have put the Billion router back in, but I still have an IP profile of 0.75Mbps and a down speed of 0.7Mbps.