cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Joined - No Internet but Solid Green Lights

namster
Dabbler

Just Joined - No Internet but Solid Green Lights

Hi All, Can anyone help please . Got connected today . BT modem  solid green light. Plusnet router solid green. Pulled red cable from plus net router and connected to my laptop. Setup a PPOE connection with my account details but still can't browse to internet tried the BT TEST  DSL account too and same problem. plusnet support said a BT fault and call would have to be raised. Not a great start to a new connection and now no internet ... , anything else to try ? Cry
33 REPLIES 33
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Just Joined - No Internet but Solid Green Lights

Hi namster, welcome to the forum. That doesn't sound like a good start. Let's hope it's not a fault and something more trivial like something not activated. Did a ticket get raised? Can you post it's number here.
namster
Dabbler

Hi, connectivity just returned. I understand it takes 10 days for stabilization , I run a speedtest with Cat5 connected to the PlusNet Router and laptop.., Would i need to contact back again in 10 days ? or post here ? i am on the unlimited Fibre connection
Thank you
dick:quote
Anotherone
Champion

What was the estimated speed you were given? Can you check your Current Line speed (Login required) I suspect that may be your old ADSL setting which hasn't yet updated.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Looks like your Current Line Speed hasn't updated to take account the switch to FTTC.
Check here (login required).
(Edit: Anotherone beat me to it... )  Tongue
Useful also would be the results of a BT speed test - click yes at the bottom of the red text and once the initial test completes click on Further Diagnostics and fill in your telephone number, then click Begin Test.
It may cr@p out at this point, but if it doesn't you'll get a graphical representation of the speed test result, along with the BT IP profile, which should closely be followed by the Plusnet one mentioned above.
Make sure you do any speed tests via ethernet cable to avoid potential wireless issues.
Were you on ADSL with Plusnet before, or are you a new user?
Quicky
Dabbler

I have exactly the same problem. Joined yesterday, all lights are solid green on the modem and router, but no actual internet access. My current line speed is 78Mb apparently.
AndyH
Grafter

There appears to be quite a few people in this situation - someone mentioned there was a problem for new users yesterday:
Quote from: zarnywoop
I'm new to plusnet today. Apparently there's been an issue with new users today not authenticating. Switched my router of for a while and then back on and its now working great. Speed is great, I'm on the 40mb package, much better than sky where I switched from.
Anotherone
Champion

Did you run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).
Quicky
Dabbler

I'm at work now unfortunately, will have to wait until I get home to do the BTw Performance test.
Andy, have Plusnet actually acknowledged there's a problem for new users? I can't say I'm impressed with my new contract so far.
Anotherone
Champion

It's not a regular event AFAWK so hopefully a one-off glitch. Probably a BTw/OR foul up behind it Roll_eyes
namster
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
What was the estimated speed you were given? Can you check your Current Line speed (Login required) I suspect that may be your old ADSL setting which hasn't yet updated.

Hi, from your Link
Phone exchange:
UPTON PARK
Estimated line speed:
40Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-08-07 22:35:38
Current line speed:
40 Mb
namster
Dabbler

Quote from: Anotherone
Did you run the BTw Performance test (ignore the red preamble except make sure no other programs are using the Internet) and at the end of the first run, click the Further Diagnostics button, enter just your Phone number and Run the Further Diagnostics Test.
Do a Copy and Paste of the results and post here (no need to grab an image).

Please see below , does not look good atm  Sad
Anotherone
Champion

I had to get my magnifying glass out to read that, that's bad.
Try the following procedure -
Log in to the router and disconnect your PPP Internet session first, wait a minute or so then turn it off. Wait a minute or so and then power down the modem. I would leave it off for at least an hour, but it's too near disk, so only 15 minutes. When you power up the modem, wait for it to sync up first and all the lights settle before turning on the router. Then log in to the router and click Connect to re-establish an Internet PPP session, It's always best to turn on in daylight hours, even if you follow that and turn off after dark, that's because interference levels are usually lower in the day.
AndyH
Grafter

The BRAS is borked - his IP Profile shouldn't be 14.39Mbps. It's physically impossible to exceed your BRAS IP Profile, which is why namster is getting low speed results. The weird thing is that the delta figure from BTW is showing the correct IP Profile - or so it seems looking at the PN Current Line Speed.
The PPP drop is a good idea as that should set the correct sync rate to the BRAS - but I have a feeling it's broken and isn't updating as it should.
@ namster - What ADSL speeds were you getting? I'm guessing 14.39Mbps!
namster
Dabbler

Hi Andy, i was getting only 8Mbps as i was O2 > Sky ADSL migrated customer.  I have sent these results to Plusnet Support. Anything else i should do ?
dick:quote