Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined the gang.

steviebaby1
Dabbler

Joined the gang.

Hi All.
I have just joined the PlusNet gang, after being let down by Sky. They moved me over automatically from BE as they bought BE out, pity as I was a very happy BE customer for over twelve years.
Anyway, their speeds were diabolical, so I left and joined PlusNet.
I have set everything in motion, and am expecting an engineer in a fortnight PM call to cross the connections over in the nice new shiny BT Fibre cabinet installed nine months ago at the end of our street, so I know I will get the full whack from it, and it's already been tested as well.
I'm looking forward to enjoying my Netflix again on the Super HD setting without all the stutters and buffering I used to endure with Sky, and of course some premium quality speed connection gaming on the PS4.

Now when I was on Sky they insist you use their Sky Hub thingy, even though I had a nice new Netgear DGN2200v4 Router, so my question is when I'm connected up to PlusNet I take it I can use my Netgear router again? and if so are their any specific things I have to do, or any settings I have to change?
Thanks in advance for any help or tips.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Joined the gang.

Welcome to the party
You can use any compatible router but I don't think that your Netgear will work on Fibre as it is an ADSL unit
steviebaby1
Dabbler

Hi.
Thanks for the reply. I know I am going to look stupid now, but what routers should I be looking for then.
Thanks.
kevinduke
Grafter

steviebaby1
Dabbler

Hi.
Thanks for the information.
So according to the Plusnet details from the Q&A, and I quote, "If you sign up for fibre broadband, you'll get a free BT fibre modem for your service. The engineer who installs your fibre broadband will bring this. The BT fibre modem will work alongside your router and you will need both for the service to work."
Am I right in thinking that I will now have two pieces of kit? The BT Fibre modem, which will then plug into my Netgear router?
It's a pity we can't use just one device like I did when on regular broadband while with BE, and then Sky's own device when I was with them!
Or have I got this completely wrong.
Sorry to be a pain, but, as you can see I am fairly new to this and just wanted to get everything ready for connection day, rather than get installed but then not able to connect.
Thanks again for any help.
kevinduke
Grafter

Yes you will have to pieces of kit - Your Netgear and the BT Modem that the engineer will leave.
There is a post somewhere on the forum though where somebody was left with a BT Homehub v5 instead but I think that has been replace now with a modem.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hi steviebaby1,
Welcome to the Forums and to Plusnet Smiley
There are a few different routers that you can get hold of which mean that you don't have to use two different devices. I, personally have a Technicolor 589 which has a Modem built in.
I found this article: http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2014/01/broadband-router-options-uk-fttc-isps-integrated-vdsl-m... quite helpful. If you want an all-in-one device, have a shop around, there's plenty of different devices to go for Smiley