Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joined Plus net today and its nightmare

harisqays
Grafter

Re: Joined Plus net today and its nightmare

Quote from: Anotherone
50% is not pushing it as hard as 30% jelv, as HP mentions, but the Target won't be 15dB HP, the lowest you can possible get it with a 15dB Target would be 9dB and remember the resync was at night, so the current DLM Target SNRM is still likely to be 6dB,  BUT
@harisqays
I was asking what choice of setting values you have, is it every 10%, ie 100,90,80...down to 10 - as you mentioned 25% is why I wondered if you have in-between values as well.
I was NOT suggesting you try a different figure from the 30% if it drops again. If it was set at 25% when it dropped last night, you may be lucky to stay above 6240 with 30% so leave it alone and just accept what happens if it drops again. DLM can drop it anyway to "experiment" with settings - you are best leaving it alone until training is complete.
Keep a note of what speeds you got with what settings and when/time you synced and what the SNRM was when the connection dropped as well as what SNRM you get after the drop. That might give you some guide as the best tweak to try AFTER training and after the profile has got to the correct setting for the sync speed.

SNR settings are 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 till 300
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I had a funny feeling it wasn't straight forward, can you translate that into more meaningful figures?
@HP
50% does mean -3dB and 10% does mean a touch over -5.5dB
Anonymous
Not applicable

Quote from: HPsauce
does anyone have a verified understanding of what say 25% or 30% setting means within DGTeam firmware.

Unfortunately I don't, despite having used DGTeam firmware on several Netgear DG834GT devices in the past.
This post is for just for background information on the general subject of TSNR tweaking and the relationship between the representation of numbers used in the modem GUI and the desired TSNR on "Billion" equipment which use similar Broadcom modem chipsets as the Netgear DGN2000 discussed here BUT the user interface uses numeric values rather than percentages.
The tables of numbers corresponding to SNR offsets, appears about 80% down this webpage - http://www.increasebroadbandspeed.co.uk/SNR-tweak
If you find this interesting then good, if you feel it is irrelevant because it is not how DGTeam do it then please ignore it !
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: purleigh
If you find this interesting then good
Very interesting, thanks for that.
I think that information also supports the proposition that trying to push more than 3dB (other than in very unusual or experimental situations) is unlikely to be productive.
That's 50% on the DGTeam scale I believe.  Wink
I'd advise trying the Purleigh solution - ask for a full line reset to restart training, citing a faulty router, set everything to standard and wait patiently.......
harisqays
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
I had a funny feeling it wasn't straight forward, can you translate that into more meaningful figures?
@HP
50% does mean -3dB and 10% does mean a touch over -5.5dB

SNR settings start from 1% to 300% like 1% then 2% 3% so on till 300%
Anotherone
Champion

My grey cells had eventually worked that out after thinking about all the numbers I recall from DG834GT tweaks.
Anyway the message at the moment is don't change anything, leave it as it is for now. I'll come back on some of the other stuff later this evening.
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'harisqays' - I have a vague recollection (from years ago) that the DGTeam software has an explanation (in poorly worded English) in the embedded help page associated with the TSNR tweak screen.  Can you have a look to see if that text is worth pasting into this topic and let us see whether that helps us with understanding the percentages ?.
harisqays
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce

I'd advise trying the Purleigh solution - ask for a full line reset to restart training, citing a faulty router, set everything to standard and wait patiently.......

Agreed need to start from beginning
harisqays
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
@'harisqays' - I have a vague recollection (from years ago) that the DGTeam software has an explanation (in poorly worded English) in the embedded help page associated with the TSNR tweak screen.  Can you have a look to see if that text is worth pasting into this topic and let us see whether that helps us with understanding the percentages ?.

Advanced ADSL settings Help
In this page is possible to configure advanced ADSL parameters, useful if default settings cause some reliability or performance troubles.
If ADSL connections doesn't give problems, simply ignore this page.
WARNING: parameter modifications is suggested to expert users only, because wrong settings may cause connection to fail.
Modulation Mode
Here you can select Modulation Modes to use: the router will be forced to try to connect only with selected modes. Generally, the default choice gives best performance: if needed, select the modulation mode manually.
Signal/Noise Ratio (SNR) Percentage
SNR puts in a relationship signal power and noise on the line. The more SNR is low the more data trasmission will be hard.
Aging on slider, or directly on box, is possible to vary the downstream SNR percentage value.
Lowering it more than 100%, you'll obtain as consequence an ADSL line more sensible to interferences/noise (worst case: connection failure) but in advantage an higher attainable rate (max downstream available): to obtain the best performance from ADSL line, the attainable rate should be always higher (equal at least) than Downstream value.
Raising it more than 100%, as opposite, will cause an attainable rate decrease in favour of an higher SNR value. In brief, the line will result more stable (bettere rejection to noises) with the disadvantage of a little line performance decrease if attainable rate becomes lower than Downstream value.
Choose the best setting value to obtain the right compensation: speed vs reliability.
Default value is of course 100% which means no modification.
Upstream SNR, instead, can't be modified.
Loop parity check
This option sets up the loop parity check. This is a way to test if errors have occurred during a data transmission.
The parity check can be inner (default) or outter.
Bitswap
If supported, gives more reliability to ADSL line, trying to equalize noise margin on all frequencies.
Default setting is enabled.
Seamless Rate Adaptation
This option refers to ADSL2/2+ connection modes only.
It lets modem/router to variate line speed while connection is active without any interruption. It must be supported by our DSLAM to work.
Default setting is enabled.
Trellis Code
Trellis scheme raises the line modulation speed-up and performance.
Selecting: default, the router will use ISP predefined setting.
Sesdrop
Enabling this option, it will be possible to reduce/eliminate transmission controls and error corrections on data packets, trying to reduce latency in particular on "Interleaved" path ADSL line. It's recommended not to use this option, because many unwanted reliability issues may occur, but if you have excellent line values, you can try to see its effects.
Selecting: default, the router will use ISP predefined setting, normally disabled.
CoMinMgn
Extend R.T.C. frequency (Annex M)
Enabling this option, router will enlarge R.T.C. frequency (Real Time Clock) doubling upload capatibility (reducing downstream) in conjunction with Annex M modulation mode only. It must be supported by our DSLAM to work.
To Save or Cancel
Click Apply to save the new settings to the Router.
Click Cancel to disregard any unsaved changes.
harisqays
Grafter

Is there any plus net engineer here who can restart training period
Anotherone
Champion

You don't need to do anything at the moment, just leave things as they are, and you don't need to start claiming faulty router nonsense. There is nothing that can be done before the end of training in any event. IF at the end of training the DLM Target SNRM is not where is should be, it won't be impossible to get an SNR Reset, but unless you do something daft it probably won't be needed.
@purleigh
You mean help you understand them, I can understand them perfectly (I just can't get my calculator working correctly)  Tongue
@HP
Look for the benefit of you all, been there, done that, read the book , got the tee-shirt & if I'd had the right camera at the time I would have made the movie. You could push 10% on the SNRM until the cows come home with no problem (on the assumption that you aren't getting loads of dropped connections or put the error rate through the roof).
harisqays
Grafter

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 6560 kbps 448 kbps
Line Attenuation 56.0 db 26.5 db
Noise Margin 4.8 db 18.0 db

As you can see my noise margin are above 4db which are really good for my line i would not  rule out faulty software in the router if line keep dropping.. There were many occasions in the past when my router hold the noise margin at 1db for many days.. I know my line better if noise margin are above 2.5db then my line should hold them for long..
Anotherone
Champion

It's all very well saying that but if the margin drops to 0 at some point because of an interference spike, you lose connection. If you know from experience that above 2.5 it generally holds and it's currently at 4dB then leave things as they are for the nth time until training is finished.
harisqays
Grafter

Update: Things are not looking good, keep disconnecting once in a day with snr set to 30% then set snr to 50% still same problem.. Set router to default settings but connection was really slow.
Contacted customer support asked them to reset snr because i set the router default settings... They tried to reset but then told me some errors on line so that's why connection slow so they cant do reset right now was advised that ring back again later.
I rang next day been told still some errors but less also told me no need to snr reset and let finish the training period.. IP profile checked and found out it was on 4mb.
The guy said he set it to 6mb, its been 3 days now since i contacted the customer support no disconnection but speed very slow page load taking time.
I checked IP profile it still showing 4mb
Anotherone
Champion

Can you post up the current DSL stats, let's see what's going on.