cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

John Lewis router vs Plusnet Hub One - speed!

FIXED
MTH1001
Dabbler

John Lewis router vs Plusnet Hub One - speed!

Hi all,

Changed from John Lewis to Plusnet and started a new broadband contract.

2 questions:

The Plusnet Hub One router is incredibly slow to boot up and in the end I gave up with it and entered my new credentials into the John Lewis one and it does everything I need. Is there some issue with the Hub One or have I got a lemon?

My download speed is as before but upload speed is considerably slower on the new Plusnet account. It was 0.95-1.1mbps and now it's 0.35 at most. They have recently fixed my line which was very noisy and kept dropping out, and while that aspect is fine now, the upload speed makes it pretty hard to do anything useful like zoom calls. 

Unfortunately only the download speed is guaranteed, which is a bit of a shame as the upload speed sucks.

Anyone had a similar experience?

15 REPLIES 15
MTH1001
Dabbler

Re: John Lewis router vs Plusnet Hub One - speed!

Would it help if I asked them to reset the line? Don’t know if that’s the right term but it currently is almost not worth my having this service at that upload speed
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,601

Fix

Hi @MTH1001 

From what I can see, due to the fault that was on the line, your broadband had slowed down. 

I've done an SNR reset, which looks to have brought your speeds back up again. 

Are things any better now?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MTH1001
Dabbler

Hi Dental – that’s amazing. Yes, I’ve just been monitoring it over the past hour, and it was sitting around five point something down and 0.36 up, and all of a sudden it’s gone to 12+ down and 1+ up. Thank you so much! Wish I could attach the graph to show what you’ve just done! That’s so cool. Thank you.
MTH1001
Dabbler

Gandalf - sorry - autocorrected and I can’t seem to edit the post. But THANK YOU!!!
MTH1001
Dabbler

BTW I’m sticking with the old John Lewis (SAGEM) Router – I tried plugging in the Plusnet router this morning and it wouldn’t to anything beyond the flashing green – even when reset with the pin at the back.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Awesome, glad to hear that @MTH1001 

Let us know if there's anything else you need help with. 

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MTH1001
Dabbler

No - that's fine! Might tackle plusnet sometime about the non-working Hub One but am very happy with the speed - see below for speed before / after you reset the line

Plusnet_before_after_reset.png

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Nice, looking good. I tested your line straight after resetting it and after seeing the immediate increase in speed, I knew my work here was done. Cheesy

I can replace the Hub One for you, as sounds like it’s defective out of the box. 

Was there anything cabled into the Hub? If so, could you try removing those cables and see if it starts up? With the exception of the DSL and power cables.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
MTH1001
Dabbler

Hi there! I never did replace my Plusnet router as I’m still using the old John Lewis router and it seemed fine.

It’s been working great ever since then. However, my line speed has now dropped to around 9mbps down and 0.39 mbps up. Is it possible that there’s someone that could simply reset my line to see if that clears the problem? I’ve reset the router and I am plugged in direct to the router via Ethernet, with nothing else being connected to that router.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

@MTH1001 Sounds like you might be having more network issues - just 'resetting' the line might temporarily clear it, but you really need to check why it is dropping.

First thing to check: Is your phoneline clear? Dial 17070 (preferably from a corded phone), select option 2. Once your phone number is confirmed, there should be silence on the line except for the regular 'Quiet Line Test' message.

John
MTH1001
Dabbler

Hi John – I’ve tried it, but no dial tone. I can call my phone from outside and it rings, but I don’t get any voice.
MTH1001
Dabbler

Hi – thank you for your help – I decided to raise it through the plusnet text system – hope that’s okay. Apparently they are going to sort an openreach engineer as it’s some sort of network problem.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

No worries - I was going to post the full text instructions anyway. Glad they acknowledge an issue.

John
willcutforth
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 97

Ah I was about to have a look into it for you @MTH1001 but glad they have found the issue. If you need anything just let me know.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Will Cutforth
 Plusnet Help Team