cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jittery Connection, reason?

sirkoufar
Dabbler

Jittery Connection, reason?

Hello everyone. As you can see here (http://prnt.sc/dfch3k), my connection is really jittery and unstable at times. I just wonder what is the reason behind that? It is completely fine later on during the night (1am+) - when everybody else is sleeping I guess. Is it somehow shared between others in my residential area?

I can't really enjoy any online games during the day because of that and that kinda sucks when I realize how much I pay for it. Would you recommend changing the provider? Thanks.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Attachment file name edited to comply with the Forum rules

Tags (2)
17 REPLIES 17
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: Jittery Connection, reason?

If this is a wifi connection use an app such as 'Inssider' and check local wifi traffic channels; then move yours
to one least populated.
sirkoufar
Dabbler

Hello, thank you for your answer, but it is Ethernet. Not a wifi.

sirkoufar
Dabbler

One month passed and the problem is still present. It is even worse now, there is almost no chance to play a game during the day. I think it is a time to say my good byes and move to a better internet provider.

Keep it unstable boys! It is 2017.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Hello @sirkoufar

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your broadband. I'm testing your broadband,

Upstream DSL Link Information Downstream DSL Link Information
Loop Loss: 10.8 27.0
SNR Margin: 16.0 23.1
Errored Seconds: 0 0
HEC Errors: 0  
Cell Count: 1608444 7942898
Speed: 708 7470

The signal to noise ratio has shot up pretty high, in an effort to keep the line stable. I'm not identifying the cause of the issue when testing your line.

From looking at your connection, it's not as stable as I like especially with the SNR being too high that's forcing your speed down to try to keep it stable.

I'd recommend connecting your router into your test socket, as explained here: https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242 if you haven't tried this already.

Let me know how you get on and I'll re test.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
sirkoufar
Dabbler

Hello @Anoush

I just connected my router to the test socket, connection is still unstable, but you should be able to do your test now, correct?

Cheers

glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

The description of test sockets needs updating. The type 4C face plates and test sockets are completely different. 

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

The SNR has shot back down again to 3db which may in turn be also causing issues being too low.

Upstream Link Info

Loop Loss SNR Margin Errored Seconds Hec Errors Cell Count Speed
10.3 6.5 0 0 2098747 1240

Downstream Link Info

Loop Loss SNR Margin Errored Seconds Hec Errors Cell Count Speed
27 3.1 3 N/A 44503199 18543

Just performed a DLM change to increase the SNR to 6db. Let me know how things go over the next day or so.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
sirkoufar
Dabbler

Can I reconnect the router to the original socket or should I leave it in the test one?

It is same so far, every now and then my ping spikes and game lags for a second. Over and over again, every 30sec.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero

Could move it back to where it was, as it doesn't appear the test socket has improved things.

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?
sirkoufar
Dabbler

OK, I will do that tomorrow as router is in different room. I am using wired connection.

sirkoufar
Dabbler

I tried it now in the middle of night when almost nobody else in the area is connected and it is working just fine. So the problem is definitely on your side.

Is the network in this area so overloaded during the day that it can't handle my needs? Is it even technically possible for you to make it run smoothly like in the middle of the night?

sirkoufar
Dabbler

Just passing by, bumping my thread up.

How are you getting on @Anoush? Do you think it is even possible to have stable connection with this kind of package I have? Is there anything like a gaming profile that could lower/stabilise my ping in exchange for lower download speed for example? I did it with my last provider and it helped me a lot.

sirkoufar
Dabbler

I have no idea what you have done, but it is horrendous, my connection is worse than it has been before. Now I can forget about gaming during the day completely.

Is this it? Time to say my good byes and move to different internet provider?

pvmb
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

@glloyd wrote:

The description of test sockets needs updating. The type 4C face plates and test sockets are completely different. 

Do you mean the newer NTE 5C?

Yes, these are being installed on all consumer's premises if accessed by Openreach engineers. They aren't so very different that the old pics will totally confuse people. Just that the NTE 5C has no screws in the consumer plate - simple pull off, push on clips - and the (double duty) test socket is positioned directly above the consumer plate socket rather than off to the right. I guess Plusnet will get round to it in time. Wink

When, after having broadband problems for ages, I identified a fault in the consumer plate of my old style NTE, I disassembled the consumer plate and came to the conclusion there was effectively a potential design fault (more a design vulnerability) in the traditional NTE consumer plate. My guess is Openreach must have come to the same conclusion some while ago, presumably by examination of returned faulty NTE units, hence a redesign and installation of the new units in consumer premises.

Only thing, the new units don't seem to use gold(?) flashing and, whether this is the reason or not, I have found the sockets on my NTE 5C seem inclined to be noisy.