cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Its me again, with ANOTHER awful speed complaint!

ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Its me again, with ANOTHER awful speed complaint!

Yes, its me again. After coming back from holiday for 1 n half months I've realised how I and my siblings are not able to able to all share the internet because of how slow the speeds are. If one of us is watching something on Youtube the rest of us suffer because the download speeds are just not high enough for everyone to use. I'm still on the search for a new ISP with a good package and overall good service (Something I haven't received at Plusnet). Last time I raised a issue, I received no help it was the usual pointless instructions and questions. I even asked how much I would be charged to bring in an engineer to check if it was an issue with my line and I didn't really get a straight answer to that too. 0.3-2mb for me and in fact anyone is beyond ridiculous and poor. More over, me getting 2mb speeds is on a good day so I'd say my average is 1.3mb. Something seriously isn't right!
Here are some info that may come in handy:
Uptime: 2 days, 22:41:32
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,176 / 3,200
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,171 / 3,160
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 1.61 / 19.69
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 18.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.5 / 36.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.5 / 15.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 338 / 2,316
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 323 / 5,066
A screenshot below of my BT Performance test showing max achievable speed being 4mb!?? I remember seeing 10mb once!
95 REPLIES 95
picbits
Rising Star

Re: Its me again, with ANOTHER awful speed complaint!

Have you taken the extension faceplate off your master socket, plugged the router in there directly with a new microfilter and given it a couple of days to see if the speeds improve ?
picbits
Rising Star

Have a quick whiz through this page and do the thing with the test socket.
http://www.exbtengineers.com/line-fault-broadband-speed-test/
Gus
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

With an attenuation of 36.5 you should be getting significantly better speeds http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/max_speed_calc.php, but that SNR of 15 and the amount of CRC errors is killing your connections speed.
So are you leaving the router powered or turning if off nightly? Don't turn it off at night as BTs DLM sees it as a fault and  that results in the DLM increasing your SNR and lowering you connections IP profile.  But rule out a fire risk if away for a few days yes turn it off.
So if you don't turn if off nightly, kick up hell with PN as you are simply not getting what your connection is capable of.  But the CRC errors are bad and that needs fixed.
FTTP 500 regrade from Tues 28th November
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Hi Ashrafmiah93,
You appear to have had a series of issues this year dealt with on these forums...
March: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125166.msg1088573.html#msg1088573
Feb: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124065.msg1076931.html#msg1076931
Jan: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122591.msg1064112.html#msg1064112
Oct 13: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117960.msg1024240.html#msg1024240
Jul 13: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116945.msg1011534.html#msg1011534

Looking through the limited number of stats you have posted, something is clearly not right, has not been resolved and WILL MOVE WITH YOU if you change ISPs.  Much better to see if we can help you here...
Date - Modulation - attenuation - Synch - SNRM - Comments
Oct 13 - ADSL - 37 - 6048 - 8.5 - LOS very high
Jan 14 - ADSL2+ - 36 - 6008 - 9.5
Mar 14 - ADSL2 - 36 - 1496 - 17.0 - LOS high
Sep 14 - ADSL2 - 36 - 3160 - 15.5
Something clearly is wrong here... a line attenuation of 37dB should deliver 10.Mbps - what is the estimate for your line here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php and here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwchecker.htm
Your best synch speed has been on ADSL(1) back in October last year.
Your line has never run at the usual SNRM level of 6dB.
Some thing is wrong with the line / the filter / the router / your internal wiring / RFI-EMI noise (REIN) in your locality.
Sorting this out does require a systematic approach to get the right engineer on the case.  I have not read through the whole of the threads, just the posts which you have made.  At this point it is simpler to ensure that you have covered as much of the self help as you can so that a clear case for a SFI or BOOST engineer.
Is your phone line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded socket from the master socket.  Check the line regularly - you might have intermittent noise.  If there is noise on the line, then get that addressed by your phone provider (is that PlusNet?) do not say anything about bb issues.
Do you have a NTE5 master socket?
Do you have phone extensions?
Is the router plugged into the master socket?
If there are extensions and you have a NTE5 socket, please connect the router onto the test socket and post the stats when connected into there.

It is difficult to tell from these stats if the SNRM is elevated due to line errors or as a consequence of the line being banded due to historical line errors.
Do you have a currently open fault report?  If yes, please post the reference number here for the ease of CRT looking into this when they return on Monday.
Once we have covered the basics, we can then look at some of the more complex possibilities.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I think you've covered most of it there, Townman.
The estimated speeds from this BT Broadband Checker could also be useful.
Just do a copy and paste of the output with your cursor, but don't post your phone number ashrafmiah93
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Quote from: Townman
Hi Ashrafmiah93,
You appear to have had a series of issues this year dealt with on these forums...
March: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,125166.msg1088573.html#msg1088573
Feb: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,124065.msg1076931.html#msg1076931
Jan: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,122591.msg1064112.html#msg1064112
Oct 13: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,117960.msg1024240.html#msg1024240
Jul 13: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,116945.msg1011534.html#msg1011534

Looking through the limited number of stats you have posted, something is clearly not right, has not been resolved and WILL MOVE WITH YOU if you change ISPs.  Much better to see if we can help you here...
Date - Modulation - attenuation - Synch - SNRM - Comments
Oct 13 - ADSL - 37 - 6048 - 8.5 - LOS very high
Jan 14 - ADSL2+ - 36 - 6008 - 9.5
Mar 14 - ADSL2 - 36 - 1496 - 17.0 - LOS high
Sep 14 - ADSL2 - 36 - 3160 - 15.5
Something clearly is wrong here... a line attenuation of 37dB should deliver 10.Mbps - what is the estimate for your line here - http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/adslchecker.php and here http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/btwchecker.htm
Your best synch speed has been on ADSL(1) back in October last year.
Your line has never run at the usual SNRM level of 6dB.
Some thing is wrong with the line / the filter / the router / your internal wiring / RFI-EMI noise (REIN) in your locality.
Sorting this out does require a systematic approach to get the right engineer on the case.  I have not read through the whole of the threads, just the posts which you have made.  At this point it is simpler to ensure that you have covered as much of the self help as you can so that a clear case for a SFI or BOOST engineer.
Is your phone line quiet?  Dial 17070 option 2 using a corded socket from the master socket.  Check the line regularly - you might have intermittent noise.  If there is noise on the line, then get that addressed by your phone provider (is that PlusNet?) do not say anything about bb issues.
Do you have a NTE5 master socket?
Do you have phone extensions?
Is the router plugged into the master socket?
If there are extensions and you have a NTE5 socket, please connect the router onto the test socket and post the stats when connected into there.

It is difficult to tell from these stats if the SNRM is elevated due to line errors or as a consequence of the line being banded due to historical line errors.
Do you have a currently open fault report?  If yes, please post the reference number here for the ease of CRT looking into this when they return on Monday.
Once we have covered the basics, we can then look at some of the more complex possibilities.

1. I don't have a NTE5 Master socket. A picture of how all my sockets look has been attached below.
2. The dial noise on my phone is loud and clear and I've never had a problem with that.
3. I never turn my router off the only exception to that is when once the electricity disappeared.
4. I've tried a different micro filter so that hasn't made a difference
5. Ive plugged in my router into my other sockets in the house and it seems my current and the one i always use is the best.
6. I haven't tested a new router as i don't want to purchase a brand new router only to test something and risk the chance of nothing changing (Money wasted) I received my router from plus net when i first signed up on a 12 month contract. Ive requested one from plus net no response yet!
7. I don't have phone extensions!
A bit of background info...
The layout of where i live is like this… We live in a maisonette styled flat. The estate we live in has 4 floors not including ground floor. The front door to my house is on the 3rd floor my room is on the 2nd floor and the rest of the bedrooms in my house are on the 4th floor. Quite confusing to you guys right? Ground floor and 1st floor isn't part of our house (our neighbours). If you've read that and haven't been confused then you should now understand why the BT engineer thought the socket in my room was the master socket since he believes the phone line into my house comes into my room first since its the 2nd floor of course and then the line continues going up a floor. The dial noise on my phone is always loud and clear so that has never been a problem. I never turn my router off the only exception is if the electricity in my house disappeared. Also keep in my mind i moved into this new place in 2011 prior to that i lived in another flat within the same estate so i practically changed homes within the same building because they offered my family bigger place with more rooms. The maisonette styled home we live in was newly built for us prior this the 3floors where once separate flats which our landlord merged together to create a maisonette for my large family.
picbits
Rising Star

You do have extensions - they are all of the other sockets in the house. You may find that you don't use them but they are still wired to a master socket somewhere.
You ideally need to find where the first socket is (referred to as the Master Socket) and disconnect all extensions and try to use that socket for any testing.
The master socket generally has the main BT wire coming in and a few components for surge protection.
You won't notice an immediate improvement - the line has to recognise it is better and gradually ramp your speed back up.
A loud dial tone is not the same as a 17070 quiet line test. You need to plug a phone in which is not a cordless phone, dial 17070 and listen for any noise or crackling on the line.
Ideally you need to find the master socket, disconnect all of the extension sockets, hook your modem up with a microfilter and see if PN can do a line reset / retrain.
picbits
Rising Star

Looking again at that picture of your socket, that could well be the master socket (I think I can see the suppressor).
It has two sets of wires going to it. I suspect one set is the incoming from BT and the other set is the outgoing to the next socket.
The incoming from BT will only be connected to pins 2 and 5. The outgoing may be connected to 2, 3 and 5 - can you get a better pic of the wiring in that socket ?
PeeGee
Pro
Fixes: 3

There's definitely an additional component and a single bell connection, so highly likely the master. It appears, though, that 2 & 5 have two wires connected, but each has one blue/white and one white/blue (or at least one dark blue and one light blue in the pic) - not the best of installations (I won't comment on electricians' skills in this situation)  Shocked
You need to check all the other sockets to see if they are consistent and the same as the cable with the orange wire connected. If not, then some re-connecting may be necessary.
phil
Plusnet FTTC (Sep 2014), Essentials (Feb 2013); ADSL (Apr 2009); Customer since Jan 2004 (on 28kb dial-up)
Using a TP-Link Archer VR600 modem-router.
Anotherone
Champion

There's no point in disconnecting the extensions, the primary issue here is that the bell wire is connected!
@ashrafmiah93 - disconnect the bell-wire - that's the orange wire on terminal 3. Remove it by gently pulling it vertically from the terminal. Be careful not to pull the wires from terminals 2 & 5.
Anotherone
Champion

When you've disconnected the bell wire, post up a new set of stats.
ashrafmiah93
Grafter

Here are some pics of what i suppose is the master socket which others here also agree on. Testing the other sockets is pointless because 1. Ive done testing on those before and its either worse there or the same. Ive taken the orange wire out not much difference a pic of a bt test is below of the new stats and guess what the mac achievable has gone down to 2mb now GREAT! Roll_eyes  Cry Cry Cry Can a member of Plusnet please supply me with a new router thats the only thing i have not tried is a new router! The one you suppled may have been faulty since day one but as usual i never really seem to get a response properly apart from kind members of the forum!
Anotherone
Champion

Don't go round testing your speeds at different sockets, it's all this disconnecting of your modem/router that makes the exchange think you have a badly dropping connection. Leave it where it is and read the following.
Edit: I hadn't seen the picture before I posted that.
OK, just to add to the above, that's not the master socket so I don't expect we'll see much difference in the stats. It has a surge arrester but no ring capacitor.
Just having had a quick look back at some of your previous posts and the pictures in the January 19th post, none of those are a master, nor did you post pictures of all the sockets.
Go round to all your sockets and remove the orange wires from terminal 3 at all of them and coil them up carefully so they aren't going to touch each other or anything else, in other words each orange wire is totally disconnected from anything else.
Then please post pictures of the back of every socket you have, and a fresh set of stats.
And to be clear that's the full stats, similar to your OP,  not speedtest results.
picbits
Rising Star

I'd also be tempted to investigate the possibility of getting a proper NTE5 socket installed at the primary point instead of that MK master socket which may or may not be causing issues.