Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's all gone haywire again.

jackoab
Grafter

Re: It's all gone haywire again.

Hi James,
                  Thanks for that James, and could you also correct the agent I spoke to this morning who insisted that the BT site was in error, Jack.
James
Grafter

I would Jack, but I'm not going to.
Basically the BT system that we use, does show your IP Profile as 5000Kbps still.
However, as you were getting 6000Kbps on the BT Speedtester, I tried changing it to that which appears to have worked.
jackoab
Grafter

OK James and again thanks, Jack.
jackoab
Grafter

Hi Chris,
              Very quiet today, here's a shot as it's starting to look more active, Jack.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Hi Jack,
Interesting anomaly about the profile! Stats looking good, errors still low.(despite the blip in the previous 60mins). I'd noticed ES have been consistently lower than CRC of late as well, better than after your previous issues.
jackoab
Grafter

Hi Chris,
              Thanks for your comments, I'll post another shot later tonight.
Re the IP Profile is there a way with DMT or RS to see the number of drops and reconnections as I can't see this information on the Netgear, another reason I prefer the Voyager!. The reason I ask is that Plusnet have said they have recorded a high number of reconnections and I haven't seen them myself, Jack.
Anotherone
Champion

Depends over what timescale they are talking! If it was before the line fix then it's irrelevant. When was this said and it what context?
I'll look into this Line up Count matter, which reminds me of  the other query I was going to look at.
jackoab
Grafter

Everything very quiet this evening, no reply yet to question, Jack.
Anotherone
Champion

Those errors still look very good. Touch wood. etc.etc.
Don't forget if you want to resync with 10% to get above 7392 or above, you should wait until the SNRM is better than 9.3 and nice and stable.
(Otherwise leave it alone for a while, you won't improve your profile).
jackoab
Grafter

Hi Chris,
               Now I'm even more confused, I looked at the router stats and saw the Uptime was only 6 Hours, looked at the router log and saw from 0155 numerous TCP Down logs, would these count as drops?, Jack.
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Jack,
I can understand the confusion. The page you are looking at there in RouterStats is giving you some of the information you were asking about.
As you can see you've got a line each there for WAN, LAN & WLAN.
On the WAN line, the time that shows in this instance is the equivalent of the 'online' time ie duration of the current ppp session. On the LAN line that's showing the time your ethernet connection has been active, a few seconds shorter than the System Up Time - the time you've been powered up, the WLAN shows nothing as you would expect as you're not using it and it's turned of.
Because a ppp session cannot start until you have sync and will end if you lose sync, if the WAN Uptime restarts, you need to check that this wasn't due to loss of sync. Have a look through the other stats to see if you can find a Line Up Time and a Line Count, if the Line Count has incremented then you know there's been a resync and the time since the last event will be the Line Up Time (a few seconds longer than the WAN uptime).
In your case its very easy to identify that there's been no loss of sync, because 1) the sync speed hasn't changed - it is very very rare to resync at exactly the same speed on ADSL1 because the noise profile is unlikely to be identical at two instances, and 2) because of the Target SNRM in your case the sync level would be lower.
Even when you have sync, a ppp session has to be established with the ISP before you can connect to the internet. Part of this process is Authentication - this can fail for several reasons - wrong username or password, or servers being down / database faults.
Last night PN were doing maintenance on two of the Gateways, and this is probably the reason for the loss of ppp session, and failure to re-establish immediately (in other words no worries as far as you line is concerned).and that's what you could see in the Netgear log.
HTH.
jackoab
Grafter

Thanks for that Chris, I was quite worried when I saw all those drops, I'll leave everything alone for now but I really do prefer the Voyager for the information available, Jack.
jackoab
Grafter

Everything nice and quiet so didn't bother with any screenshots, no more drops so appears you were correct in your thoughts about work on the gateways!!, let me know if you want any shots, Jack.
Anotherone
Champion

Post one tomorrow evening, if you like. Did you manage to find a Line Up Count in the stats?
jackoab
Grafter

Hi Chris,
              Still can't find a Line Up Count or any error counts on the Netgear, it appears that you have to run DMT to get the error counts. There was one TCP drop last night at 01.44 strange it only happens overnight!!
Will post a DMT screenshot around 23.00 this evening, Jack.