Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It just goes to show!

nozzer
Hero
Fixes: 3

It just goes to show!

BT has just finished installing a new cable-bundle along our cul-de-sac. The old cable was 25 years old and pretty shot. My errored second rate has gone from one about every 10 seconds, to one every 140 seconds!
So don't rush to blame PN, they're probably not at fault!  Smiley
2 REPLIES 2
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: It just goes to show!

just wondering what is going to happen to mine,   Two large arrows have been painted along side BT manhole pointing towards the pole
marks on pavement next to pole, about 10M away.  Either side of my house, pole one side, manhole the other
x47c
Grafter

Re: It just goes to show!

The pole feeding my and a few other houses has been condemmed.
This means that BT staff must not climb it (its actually quite safe - it's just out of certification date)
So they need to get a bucket lift van up here every time one of the houses has a fault to lift the BT man up to the top of the pole to check the connection
Comparing the costs of sorting it now vs costing in how many times are they going to need the bucket van over the next x years.
The pole has to come from France as that has the only certified plant in the EU capable of cresote impregating safetly the pole. - so that £750 cost of pole.
By the time you have added in costs of the machine to extract old one and re-insert new pole plus the labour in re-doing the circuit from the joint box adjacent plus traffic control/safety watch man...your talking well in excess of £1000.
So at 3 houses being fed from it that is the equivalent of around a couple of years land line rental receipts from those houses used up if they replace it - and that's just one pole!
Once one starts to look at the costs of doing these jobs one begins to realize why BT just bodge up where they can
Don't start me on the costs of retrenching long lengths when £30K can go west