cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with connection

Patni1
Hooked

Issues with connection

This morning my connection to the network dropped suddenly. My set up is as follows:

Master phone jack -> OpenReach modem -> Own TP Link Router

I can see that on the OpenReach router, the DSL light is not lit. It tries to sync with the line, flashes and goes blank.

On contacting Plusnet, they ran their automated tests and the support person thinks that the OpenReach modem is at fault. They can confirm that the line is okay at their end. I am not sure why that would be the case though: the OpenReach modem boots up fine, and the other lights are lit related to LAN and power.

Since I am out of contract the solution provided was to get a new contract and a new modem which is being shipped. I am worried that this not going to solve the issue if its a line problem. Are there any checks I can do for this? I am trying to see if someone has a modem/router combo.

Also, is it true that Plusnet has stopped using the OpenReach modems now?

Thanks in advance

12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Re: Issues with connection

@Patni1 I'm not going to argue with Plusnet Support, but from your description where you say the modems DSL light is not lit, it suggests a fault in the BT/OR network - not your equipment.

Have you checked the phone line for noise?

Plusnet ditched the OR modem/separate router combination many years ago, although the Hub2 you will receive can be used as a modem-only, leaving you to use your own router, should you so wish.

John
Patni1
Hooked

Many thanks.

I forgot to mention: I have a phone line from Plus net that is connected to the same socket. That is dead as well. So I suspect its more to do with the line or socket itself. But never heard of a socket failing drastically.

The router log ust says unable to connect due to PADI timeouts, which is to be expected I think.

jab1
Legend

As I suspected then - a BT/OR network failure, most possibly. If you connect to the test socket - via a filter of course - is there any difference in outcome?

John
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@Patni1 

If you know anyone with a spare BT Home Hub 5, Smarthub or Smarthub 5 or a Plusnet Hub One or Two they can be configured to work. If you find one before the postie bring you a new Hub 2 in between their strikes and you need help configuring it then come back and tell us what device you have. All of these are combined modem/routers. so you no longer need the Openreach modem.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Baldrick1

@Patni1 

Just read your latest post, try reporting a phone fault. see https://www.plus.net/help/report-a-problem/phone/#phone

Moderator and Customer

jab1
Legend

@Baldrick1 From the OP's previous comments, I think the agent was wrong in their diagnosis of the problem, No BT or PN Hub is going to work on a borked BT/OR circuit.

John
Baldrick1

@jab1 

Totally agree, I had not read the OP's latest post, hence my now suggesting reporting a phone fault to see if that picks it up.

Moderator and Customer

Baldrick1

@Patni1 

Another thing to try is to use the Test socket. This will show you how to access it https://community.plus.net/t5/Library/Testing-From-The-Master-Socket/ba-p/1322242. The latest type of Master socket has a clip on front so is simpler to access, these also have a reputation for being less reliable.

Initially forget the filter and just plug you phone in to check if it's working. If it is then plug your filter in and you will probably be back on line.

Moderator and Customer

Patni1
Hooked

I unscrewed the Master socket and plugged in the phone to the test socket, and there is no dial tone. This means there is an issue with the line.

As suggested, I have raised a phone fault and am waiting for someone to call back. Hopefully this attempt will go better. I suppose I need to go back and tell them to not ship my new router....

Thanks for the suggestions.

Patni1
Hooked

So update, they finally found an external fault when did another test after I called them:

Test Result: Fail - Fault located between DP and customer apparatus (no appointment required) Description: FAULT - Dis In Network The trouble report reference is: TR0000015329681

Anyone know what this is?
jab1
Legend

@Patni1 It just means there is a fault (disconnection) between your house and the local pole/underground connection which does not involve you having to have an engineer visit your property - although if it is a good engineer they might come and check their actions have resolved the issue.

John
Patni1
Hooked

@jab1 @Baldrick1 

Many thanks for the helpful suggestions and pointers, it is much appreciated.

Awaiting the fault to be fixed. I have been given a date of 25th. Lets see...