cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues tonight

dragon2611
Grafter

Issues tonight

Is there something funny going on tonight?
Noticing speeds dropping as low as 2 -3 Mbit/s , and some strangely high pings to places like bbc (As high as nearly 2seconds)
Router CPU is fairly low, Upstream utilization is fairly low at 0.5Mbit/s (80/20 Fttc line)
Rebooted all the networking Gear in the house including the FTTC modem, full sync 80/20
Gateway hopped a few times.
Switched Router back to EdgeOS 1.5 as I did wonder if I'd run into a bug in the 1.6a1 build.
TBB speedtester gives a horribly low result for single threaded and then a nice result for the HTTPx6 download and then suggests there could be a problem with the RWIN (Unlikely, it's a fairly new PC running windows 8.1, should auto adjust accordingly)
Also disabled IPv6 on my machine to make sure the speedtest wasn't done over the IPv6 tunnel (HE.net)
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=140866411934751033244
8 REPLIES 8
TDM66
Dabbler

Re: Issues tonight

I just did a TBB Speedtest and got a similar result to you. HTTPx6 speed result was over twice that of the other.
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Morning both,
I'm taking a look into this now to see if we have anything shown on the network graphing however nothing has been raised or alerted as it normally would be.
Have you seen things return to normal either last night or this morning?
AndyH
Grafter

Did you change anything software/network wise that might coincide with the speed issues?
dragon2611
Grafter

I'm afraid I'm not there at the moment to try it and annoyingly I turned off my server machine the other day and forgot to switch it back on, I'd rather not try downloading to the router itself.  (Can't even remember if it has curl/wget)
I did upgrade to edgeOS 1.6Alpha1 on the router a few weeks back, but I reverted that last night incase it was the cause of the problem, didn't make a difference.
Software wise nothing I can think of, it's a Fairly new machine, i7 4770, 16gb ram so not slow by any means.
I was a bit short on time when I posted yesterday, if it continues over the weekend then I should be able to do some proper testing using multiple devices.
TDM66
Dabbler

All seems normal today.

This is the result I got last night. I was checking after changing the MTU value in my Billion 7800n Router.
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=140866496423371554957
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks TDM66,
I spoke with the network folks this morning and they had nothing of significance to report back on regarding this but I'll pass this info over to them and see if anything comes of it. Glad to hear all seems to be working fine again now though  Smiley
TDM66
Dabbler

Adam C, No proplemo.
Though I think as far as my connection goes "fine" would be overstating it somewhat. Normal, yes.  Smiley
Have a nice weekend.
dragon2611
Grafter

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results.html?id=140873901137610541624
Still getting strange results  Shocked
Looks like it might be an issue in my LAN somewhere though as now I'm back and not having to rely on remote access I did try downloading the test file on the router itself
curl -l http://ipv4.download.thinkbroadband.com/1GB.zip > /dev/null 

ip > /dev/null
 % Total    % Received % Xferd  Average Speed   Time    Time     Time  Current
                                Dload  Upload   Total   Spent    Left  Speed
100 1024M  100 1024M    0     0  6945k      0  0:02:30  0:02:30 --:--:-- 5528k
root@fbdn-home:/home/ubnt#

Only Issue I could find was a broken clip on the cable between the youview STB and the switch it's connected to, the cable had moved enough so it wasn't making a good connection at the switch end.
Not sure if that was causing some kind of strange behavior on the switch, it Shouldn't do but who knows  Undecided Either way rebooting that switch and replacing the cable seems to have fixed it (I did reboot that switch yesterday)
Thought maybe it could be the cable between the living room switch and the switch connected to the router, but it's negotiating a Gig correctly and there are no CRC errors showing on the port at the other end (counters would have been cleared at the living room end by the reboot just now)
Switches are Netgear GS108e's so pretty basic but you can perform some limited configuration/management on them (Including getting the port stats) if you can get the management software to behave itself.