Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues streaming

Rsebrie
Grafter

Issues streaming

@Gandalf Hello chap.

We have spoken previously. When I commented how good your bar charts where. Or was it @Chris?

Anyway, I'm here today in need of help/

The last week or so, I have been unable to stream any video for over 30 minutes without it becoming out of sync on my brand new apple tv. So that made that purchase stupid. But today my internet has gone out several times. 

I was playing on my Xbox one and was at the end of a level I had never completed before, and was just about to cross the finish line. Then boom! Disconnected.

Please can you tell me what software you are using to make said charts and how I can monitor my own downtime, Because today has driven me up the wall.4 times I was totally disconnected.

My router just freezes. My downloads just drop to 0, then its taking awhile before it starts to reconnect.

Do I need to buy another router?

I know your cheap and cheerful in comparison, but when its not working at all it doesn't really matter.

I need help with my connection, please run your tests and produce one of those bar charts.

Please, it would make my day, and I'm sure my mom would be impressed. But please can you diagnose my line from your end and tell me what's up

Likes given all round

thx

Richard

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Changed thread title to reflect issue.

9 REPLIES 9
Mav
Fixes: 514

Re: Issues streaming

Moderator's note:

Post moved to it's own thread for better visibility and title changed to reflect the issue.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hey Richard.

Sorry to hear you're having connection problems.

Please can you tell me what software you are using to make said charts and how I can monitor my own downtime, Because today has driven me up the wall.4 times I was totally disconnected.

If you're referring to...

...the above visual graph is produced by your connection logs on our internal systems. I'm unsure as to how you'll be able to see something similar but I'm sure the community here will be able to point you in the right direction.

My router just freezes. My downloads just drop to 0, then its taking awhile before it starts to reconnect.
I need help with my connection, please run your tests and produce one of those bar charts.

Please, it would make my day, and I'm sure my mom would be impressed. But please can you diagnose my line from your end and tell me what's up

Having tested your line today it appears the throughput and speed issues of the connection may be due to a setting being incorrect.

The signal to noise ratio (SNR) is too low for the length of your line. The SNR helps the line to remain stable and unaffected by noise or interference on the line. The higher the setting for SNR, the higher the level of noise can be tolerated.

The SNR for your line was set too low for the amount of interference we'd expect to see, so by increasing this we expect the connection to now stabilize and for the information to be received without interference.

Let us know how you get on over the next day or so.

(Also, whilst running my checks I've noticed that your line is eligible for Fibre To The Premises (FTTP). If you're interested, go over to http://trials.plus.net where you'll be able to sign up.)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rsebrie
Grafter

Thank you. You do me Proud

My internet did just die, and my phone line did just disconnect, but I assumed as much.

I asked for help 10 minutes ago, and you've done your thing already. Kudos.

I'm genuinely impressed and well happy.

I will let you know how it goes.

I'm a bit of a media junkie.

I have two ipods, an iPhone and an ipad, and a PC, and Xbox One S and several other consoles.

And the Apple Tv. I started using an iPod on the iPod Touch 2G. So on last count I had around 6000 iPhone apps, 4000 ipad apps, and now just under 100 apple tv apps. So there's a constant stream of updates occurring in the background.

I've already let my miss's know how quickly you fixed my issue's today. Even she was impressed. Even though she keeps thinking your TalkTalk. Nope PlusNet

Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Haha, no problems Richard. Smiley

Let us know how you get on.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rsebrie
Grafter

So far not good.

i am currently unable to play the Xbox.

My Xbox also just told me to reset my router, as it couldn't obtain an IP Address.

I've loaded my game 3 times and 3 times it crashs as I completely loose connection.

I also use a Static ip, would that have any effect on this?

Really want to get that software of yours so I could see what's going on.

should I reset my router.......

kind regards

thx thx for the help so far

richard

Rsebrie
Grafter

I did the reset anyway. Nothing would connect. Even the iPad was being disconnected. So I pretty much turned of the power to the house. So the phone was off, the router was off, and everything else that goes with them was off. Gave it about 10 minutes and have restarted.

Fingers crossed.

Also as you spoke about fibre to the premises, Yes I do indeed have FTP present, but I left fibre with BT to join you. With BT I was paying around £120 on average, for 200MB Fibre, mobile, and home phone.

With you, for the same thing, but instead of Fibre, good old Broadband. £35 a month.

The fibre also kept crashing on me, so I contacted BT who sent an engineer who told me my router was broken, so I contacted BT who I was already paying over a hundred pound a month and they said there was problems with the old router, and that if I wanted the new router it would be another £89. Well long story short, I went up the wall, and paid to leave early to join you.

And to think BT phoned me when I was TalkTalk out of the Blue, the guy was called Dave (Dave!) He promised me everything and max speed too for "never over £45 a month." What a mug I was to believe him. The first 6 months bills where all over hundred quid, so I bailed early. And Dave if your out their man, and you hear this, you should be ashamed, and I'm going to tell your mom or sum thing, because I believed you dude

Anyways I will take a look at the given link. If its needed and theres a decent package going with it, perhaps.

I pay for Sky's Movies Service, and a few other things here and there so if it's need, perhaps. thx again

Richard

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Looking at your connection logs, your router's still connected...

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

As for FTTP, we've two packages that mimic the regular fibre broadband. Either Unlimited Fibre (38 Mb/s) for £14.99 per month, or Unlimited Fibre Extra for £19.99 per month. Plus line rental at £17.99 (+£1 from 29th June).

If you don't use your phone, you'll be able to drop that, so you'll just be paying the fibre package cost + £2.50 for broadband only. You'll need to pay off the phone side of the contract, which should work out cheaper than monthly line rental.

Let us know how you get on with your current connection though.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Rsebrie
Grafter

Are you using a wired or wireless connection?

Everything is plugged into the router via Ethernet cables of the highest quality

My internet has just been woeful today. I've been trying to compete 1 game of Halo 5 Warzone all day, and haven't succeeded. It's driving me up the wall.

I've turned everything off and let it rest, and tried and tried again several times, but alas, I just can not finish one game, and they only go on for 25 minutes. There's always something.

My Xbox has told me that I've been disconnected from the network around 20 times today.

Any help would be appreciated, such as a bar chart for todays signal please, as you know I really like the bar graphs. Please one for today just so I can see how bad its been.

And as for Fibre to the Premises, I left BT who where supplying it to me last, as they promised me my bills would be no more than $42 a moth, when in reality after 9 months of paying around £120 a month I bailed and came to you.

And also the reliability of fibre isn't what I thought it was, as my internet would also just die several times a day using 50MB fibre also.

Please can you give me one of your bar charts please for today.

Thx

Richard

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hopefully resolved this intermittent connection issue you've been having via your other post:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Broadband/Re-Internet-Dies-several-times-a-day/m-p/1450383#M315445

Kind regards,

Ben