Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with content sharing ip address on TG582n

lotrjw
Grafter

Re: Issue with content sharing ip address on TG582n

@nanotm
if you are talking about this diagram: http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w639/lotrjw/HomeNetworkMapModed_zps630bf055.png thats not actually what Im doing I was just floating that idea! I am currently only using two routers that are both conneted via my server and I have two PCs, Sky box, bluray player and my windows server as the only devices that are physical and connected via ethernet. My web server is a virtual PC sitting on my windows server and then I have phones connected via wifi.
I have done what you said re my phone and set a static IP via my DHCP server based on the phones MAC, but my phone doesnt pick that up?Huh
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 2

you have ot restart your network (all devices) and routers (don't forget to disconnect the connection manually) then power up the server then routers then devices, this *should* then create a change in the network address for the device,
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
lotrjw
Grafter

so power down everything, then power up again?
lotrjw
Grafter

@nanotm thanks I started to do what you said and after I had shut down one pc and restarted the server and the router being used as a switch I checked my phone DHCP had given it the IP as a static assignment and the content sharing has a dynamically assigned IP by my DHCP on the right subnet! Well isn't the simplest answer nearly always the best, as in "have you tried turning it off then on again!
Well I haven't turned on (or rather plugged in the Sky box and the bluray player yet, but something tells me that they are unlikely to be the cause of the issue.
So its problem solved I think.
nanotm
Pro

yeah its always about rebooting it all,
sadly what happens is all the devices on the network cache the dhcp table so just restarting the problem device and the dhcp server isn't enough to fix the problem,
but then once you have forced it to reacquire it very often *fixes itself*
my w8 phone is the same whenever I mess about with anything, although I tend to swap the network its logged into to force a change (its a damn site simpler than pulling all the wires out and rebooting things)
lotrjw
Grafter

Well sadly I found the route of the problem when I rebooted the webserver (virtual computer) this morning! Now I know though I have isolated it from the network till I can work out what the issue is. at least everything else works now though!
nanotm
Pro

VPC's of any sort addressed by the network are never a good move, unless you have a separate physical network adaptors assigned to them within the tower....
lotrjw
Grafter

It looks like I need another network card then as there isnt enough in my server! Thankfully they are cheap though so I think its worth a try! I can live without my web server for a while.
nanotm
Pro

that or a new box to run it on ...
I played about with VM's in the past but always ended up with problems if I didn't have a NIC for them, then I bought a couple of decent pc's and stopped messing about with virtual boxes
lotrjw
Grafter

I used to run the web server on its own box, but the power supply unit gave up, so I relocated it to a virtual machine. Its something to consider and it would be more preferable as its own box again. 
lotrjw
Grafter

Well I got two more network cards and shoved them in my server yesterday and after several hours work, yesterday and today, everything, network wise, is now working exactly as I want it too!
The web server is now working and not causing any ip conflicts and can be seen from the internet!
I also had remote desktop issues along side the rest of things and that is now solved, so time well spent getting it all to work.
Thanks nanotm for the idea of giving the web server its own physical network card in the windows server!
nanotm
Pro

well occasionally I do remember the odd thing that's useful beyond politicking
lotrjw
Grafter

The funny thing is I solved my remote desktop a similar way by telling it what network interface to use! the remote desktop had been unable to connect for a number of weeks and then today I found that obscure setting!