cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Vodafone Sure Signal

jbrumhead
Grafter

Issue with Vodafone Sure Signal

Hello. I have recently setup Vodafone's Sure Signal device for work and it keeps disconnecting intermittantly. Most annoying when you are actually on a call! I have reported it to my IT team at work who have been in touch with Vodafone. Apparently from their end they cannot see what is wrong with the device so have suggested that it must be my connection. I have checked my router logs but I can't go back far enough to when it last disconnected. What I can tell you is I am getting the following regular messages in my event logs:
GREEN BLOB: Oct 14 17:49:34 SNTP Synchronised to server: 212.159.13.49
RED BLOB:  Oct 14 17:13:14 FIREWALL replay check (1 of 39): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: 195.166.128.183 Dst ip: 91.125.91.71 Type: Time Exceeded Code: Time to Live exceeded in Transit
Can you see at your end if my connection has been disconnecting, even momentarily? Is there a latency issue? Thanks
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Issue with Vodafone Sure Signal

Have you considered setting up a ThinkBroadband "Broadband Quality Monitor" for your connection ?
- so that you can look out for problems with latency, packet loss, and intermittent breaks.
Once you have a monitor working, and running for more than 24 hours, you can post the graphs into this thread for staff and others to comments on.
If you are unfamiliar with the output of these monitors, try clicking on either of the graphs in my signature bar below.
Wink
jbrumhead
Grafter

Ok, so i've registered and here is my graph over 24 hours. There has got to be summat wrong here?!
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Your router's probably configured to block ICMP traffic (pings)
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Yup, you need to allow ping from WAN as described here http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/guides/routers.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jbrumhead
Grafter

I can change this in the router settings can I? My router is one of those cheap plusnet thomson ones....
EDIT: Great, thanks. I'd already posted before I read your note MisterW
Anonymous
Not applicable

@'JonathanB' - now that your router is responding to pings, what does your ThinkBroadband latency graph look like ?
Can you post the live picture using "Share Live Graph" and use the image location of the "Large Graph"
jbrumhead
Grafter

Apologies for the delay, here is my live graph.
PS My Sure Signal has stopped working completely now! I wonder if it's anything to do with changing the router settings when setting up this monitor? Doesn't seem likely though as its only enabling pings!
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Have you forwarded the correct ports to the Sure Signal?
Alternatively place the Sure Signal in the routers DMZ. 
jbrumhead
Grafter

Im not sure what part of my query you are responding to but my Sure Signal has been working ok but disconnects periodically for no reason so purleigh asked for a latency graph. Since i set that up my sure signal won't connect at all. I understand about opening ports and DMZ but i have no idea how to do it. i shouldnt need to though as the device was working.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

It may be that UPnP was dealing with opening the necessary ports for the sure signal.
IMO using port forward or DMZ will be more reliable than UPnP for something like the sure signal.
Also in the routers network settings for the Sure Signal make sure the box  "always use the same IP address" is ticked. This will help UPnP and / or port forwarding do the job better. IMO without this setting enabled the router can sometimes lose track of the target device IP address.
jbrumhead
Grafter

Please can someone help me out with this? The Sure Signal is a device that should just work by plugging it in without having to mess with any settings. Purleigh - I've uploaded the graphs but had no response from you. This Sure Signal just keeps disconnecting periodically. Can no one at Plusnet see at their end whether there is anything wrong with my connection that may be causing this issue?
mikehiow
Grafter

It 'just works' when everything is configured correctly, but that may not always be the case with every router or every setup.
The port forwarding/DMZ idea isn't a bad one - uPnP isn't always flawless and I'd put money on the SureSignal relying on it.
If you are unsure, and this is a work thing, can I suggest you have one of the IT guys do it?
jbrumhead
Grafter

ok i've enabled the sure signal for dmz. i've also turned off "allow ping from WAN" as my sure signal hasn't been connected since turning that on.
jbrumhead
Grafter

ok i've enabled the sure signal for dmz. i've also turned off "allow ping from WAN" as my sure signal hasn't been connected since turning that on. Attached is latest latency graph.