cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue 16 of Plus New broadband speedtester.

andyw
Grafter

Issue 16 of Plus New broadband speedtester.

Not used the "old" speedtester but tried this one out of curiosity.
I ran 2 check cycles on the speedtester and then ran a check on the broadband choices product that I normally use. The results were remarkably different.
Please see attachment speedtest.doc
Although upload speed is similar on each tester (c. 8% variation) the download shows as 5220kbs (5.1mbs) on speedtester and 3.62mbs on broadband choices. This is c. 40% variation.
I run on an N1 wireless network and the broadband choices tester is set up for that but I cannot see why the readings should be so far apart.
I would be pleased to hear of any likely causes.
Andyw

10 REPLIES 10
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Issue 16 of Plus New broadband speedtester.

The new speedtester is situated in docklands, London at the termination of your broadband connection i.e. is not may hops away.
Where is the broadband choices server situated - in the US perhaps where the distance will impact the speed of the results.
Try a tracert to both and see how many hops each is.
What does the http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html speed tester give you?
Finally running a seed test via a wireless connection can yield differing results.
andyw
Grafter

Thanks for quick reply.
Can't say where the broadband choices tester runs but it is shown as "developed by broadband choices.co.uk". I assumed that it runs from within uk.
Good point about distances, I am in southwest Norfolk; not that far from Docklands.
I ran the think broadband test and got this result.
Speed Test Results
Date 04/03/08 16:25:21
Speed Down 5053.03 Kbps ( 4.9 Mbps )
Speed Up 372.59 Kbps ( 0.4 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk
Link: http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/12046478847065905194.html
consistent with the speedtester result.
I'll run some more tests and post the results if they take this any further forward.

Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Also do a BT speedtest
By distance I meant to wherever the broadband choice server is i.e. it could be situated in the US or Canada. Just because the domain ends in .co.uk does not mean the server is in the UK.
Not applicable

Interestingly, the www.broadbandchoices.co.uk is run from 2 IPs in a block belonging to a datacentre in Northampton (according to Netcraft) and a third IP they run from is noted as being part of the Vibus-net netblock.
Anybody's guess as to actual location, but it does seem likely that its in Northampton on that evidence alone.
The servers are running IIS 6.0, IIS 5.0 and the one at the Vibus-Net IP is 'unknown'
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Just tried their speedtest and it ranged from 0.5Mbs to 3.2Mbs. Considering my sync speed is 2048Kbs I don't regard that speed tester as being in any way reliable.
Not applicable

Almost as good as the old PN one then!
andyw
Grafter

Thanks Peter and James.
Broadband choices seems to be in a minority of 1.
I'll abandon that tester and close my part of this thread.
Andyw
Not applicable

The one at www.thinkbroadband.co.uk has a tendency to be fairly reliable. There are of course others around the place too, (www.speedtest.net is another OKish one) As with anything on the internet though, things can vary from one minute to the next, and from one day to the next, so its worth having a few to check around with so you can be a bit more confident in the results.
andyw
Grafter

Thanks again, I'll bookmark those 2 and give them a try.
Andyw
kreynolds
Grafter

I'm seeing different results between the PN speed tester and other speed testers, not so much in download speed  more in upload speeds

Thinkbroadband
Date  05/03/08 17:23:21
Speed Down 6518.66 Kbps ( 6.4 Mbps )
Speed Up 482.53 Kbps ( 0.5 Mbps )
Port 8095
Server speedtest1.adslguide.org.uk
http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest/results/id/120473774525846028731.html