cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this right?

Zap
Grafter

Is this right?

I downloaded Win7 and a few other bits from Microsoft and BAM I get an email from Plusnet saying I am over my 15gb limit.
It says I can restrict my charges so I went to the site to do that, I set my limit to my monthly payment of £14.65 and it accepted it and listed this comment:
"If your broadband charges (subscription plus additional usage) reach your Maximum Broadband Price, you'll be disconnected from the Internet. You can either wait until your next bill, or increase your Maximum Broadband Price, to immediately benefit from additional usage."
I thought I would be cut down to a very low speed (which I can live with but not cut off completely.  Also if I did set it and was cut off how could I go back and change it if I was disconnected off from the internet?
15 REPLIES 15
James
Grafter

Re: Is this right?

Your data transfer is essentially stopped (albeit not disconnected) should you reach the price you set in the member centre.
Roswellgrey
Grafter

What package are you on , Zap ?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I'm guessing Pro or PAYG which have never had the restricted speed option.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Zap
Grafter

Thanks for the replies I am on "PlusNet Broadband Your Way Option 2 (Monthly Contract)"
Now I am even MORE confused!
I changed the max to £20.95 to avoid being DISCONNECTED and then locked out (we all know that comms by phone to Plusnet is not a pleasant experience).
The first email said

You're approaching your product's broadband peak-time usage allowance of 15GB for this month. We've sent you this email to help you manage your usage, and ensure you don't face unexpected charges. [color=purple]There's no limit on how much you can use,
but once you've used your 15GB allowance, additional usage is charged at £2 per 2GB. [/color]

I got a further email saying I had actually passed my 15gb allowance, in fact I am up to about 18gb because I downloaded Biztalk, Dynamics and a few other MS Server ISO's. The emails say
At the moment your account allows for 15GB of peak-time usage per month.
You've probably noticed that your broadband speeds are slower than usual, this is because you've gone over your monthly usage allowance. Don't worry, your speed will be back to normal at the end of your billing month.  If you'd like to return to full speed now, you'll need to increase your usage allowance.  There are two ways to do this, you can either:
- Increase your usage allowance - [color=red](73p per GB added)

- Use what you like now and pay for it at the end of the month - (98p per GB used)
Choose what works for you at the following link:
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=control_your_broadband[/color]

So I follow that link and I select "Change My Usage Allowance"
It then says:

Fixed cost or pay as you go?  You are currently: Fixed cost
If you use your usage allowance, your speeds will be restricted to 128k until the end of the billing month. If you think you might use more than your allowance, simply tick this box to get extra usage at your normal speed for £0.98 per GB on Options 2, 3 and Pro, or £1.22 per GB on Option 1 or Essential.

So lets get this straight.
1. If I do nothing I won't be disconnected but my speed will be reduced to 128k.
2. If I do nothing will I be billed at the rate of £2 for 2gb or 98p a Gb in Plusnet maths (where does the 2p go?)
3. If I tick the box my speed will be restored?
3. If I agree to increase my usage allowance I will be billed at 73p a gb
4. If I agree to increase my usage allowance my speed will be restored
5. Despite the email saying there is no limit on the extra I can use the dialog box says 21gb
So basically I would be nuts not to increase my allowance otherwise I will have a crappy service until the 22nd and pay more anyway, or
6.is it that if I don't tick the box I will not be charged the £2 per gb for the extra I have used?
This raises further questions:
7. If I change my allowance can I put it back to 15gb at the end of my monthly cycle (22nd)
8. Could I avoid these charges if I switched to an unlimited service
9. I think the unlimited service costs £19.95 with a discount for 3 months, if I switch to that will I get the reduced amount?
10. If I switch to that am I tied in for a period of time or can I switch back after 3 months?
11. If I do switch back will I be retrospectively charged for the additional usage if any?
Complicated isn't it!
I appreciate your help!

Roswellgrey
Grafter

Oh dear ...
I only asked as you mentioned a 15G limit, and if you just happened to be on BBYW Opt. 2 ( as I am)  
I was wondering why it wouldn't just drop back to snails pace ( with no extra charges) unless you took action (as I believe it should ? )
As such, I too would be very interested in the answers to your questions  Smiley
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You either pay more or have restricted speeds, not both.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Zap
Grafter

Can anyone from Plusnet answer my questions?
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

In a way you can have both Wink
Firstly, on BBYW legacy products, if you go over the usage allowance, you are restricted at peak times to 128K.
The default usage allowance is set at 15GB on option 2 unless you have added pre-bought extra GB https://portal.plus.net/products/upgrade/change_data_transfer.html - Choose a new usage allowance - at 73p per Gb on option2.
If you want to go over the usage allowance without being capped, tick the box at the bottom where the extra GB' s will cost you 98p and the setting will change to PAYG instead of Fixed cost.
You can still cap the maximum spend https://portal.plus.net/data_transfer_watch/ ; and when you reach this you will be capped to 128K.
The information about £2 for 2GB for BBYW is wrong and should have been corrected. These legacy products were not supposed to be changed when the new products were introduced, and the wrong information was put on the page. If the product has since been changed then there will be another almighty row with BBYW users!
You will not (should not) be billed for any usage at restricted speed over your maximum spend setting or usage allowance on fixed cost.
Zap
Grafter

Thanks for tackling some of my questions, there seems to be some confusion on this issue which is why I asked for a Plusnet response.
I don't know when peak time is but I just did a speedtest and got

So it seems the 128k is 24/7
Can anyone at Plusnet tackle my questions number by number.
Key think is whether I will be charged if I do nothing, but other questions are important in my decision on how to proceed.
Not much point struggling along on 128k if I am going to be charged anyway and at a higher rate.
I can't get into any long term agreements as I may be moving.

orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re:Is this right?

Quote from: Zap
1. If I do nothing I won't be disconnected but my speed will be reduced to 128k.
2. If I do nothing will I be billed at the rate of £2 for 2gb or 98p a Gb in Plusnet maths (where does the 2p go?)
5. Despite the email saying there is no limit on the extra I can use the dialog box says 21gb
So basically I would be nuts not to increase my allowance otherwise I will have a crappy service until the 22nd and pay more anyway, or
6.is it that if I don't tick the box I will not be charged the £2 per gb for the extra I have used?
7. If I change my allowance can I put it back to 15gb at the end of my monthly cycle (22nd)
9. I think the unlimited service costs £19.95 with a discount for 3 months, if I switch to that will I get the reduced amount?
10. If I switch to that am I tied in for a period of time or can I switch back after 3 months?
11. If I do switch back will I be retrospectively charged for the additional usage if any?
Complicated isn't it!
I appreciate your help!

1. That's correct - if you're on fixed usage you'll be limited to 128k when you hit the account limit (rather than the limit you set in the data transfer watch).
2. No, that only happens if you tick the box in order to change from fixed usage to flexible.
3(i). Yes - that will change you to the flex option, and extra usage will be added in 1GB chunks (98p each) until your monthly cost hits the amount set in the data transfer watch.
3(ii). No, 98p per 1GB as it's post pay rather than pre-pay (pre-pay would be if you opted to increase your monthly allowance via the dropdown whilst on the fixed cost option).
4. Yes.
5. This is because that is the amount that will be added before you reach the limit set in the data transfer watch (if you were on the flex option).
6. You won't be charged as no extra usage is added - that's why the connection has been limited.
7. Yes, but this won't take effect until after the following month so you'll have 2 months with the higher usage limit and associated charge.
8. Yes.
9. Yes. If you change and it doesn't happen (it should do) drop one of us a PM and we'll get it sorted.
10. If you don't like it we can change you back within the first month, however if you stick with the new account type for longer than that we wouldn't change you back.
11. No, but then the downgrade would happen on your billing date at the end of that month.
Hope that does help, that was a lot to type first thing on a gloomy Friday 13th Wink
Let us know if there's anything we can do to help with this.
Cheers,
Matt
EDIT: I thought it was a lot to type... now I see it posted it really wasn't 😕 ah well.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Welcome to a quarter of the chair Matt
Zap
Grafter

THANKS Matt
Friday the 13th is lucky for some of us (must remember to buy a Eurolottery ticket)!
I was considering the unlimited service, after costs, my concern was that the traffic restrictions seem to kick in earlier, particularly in the early afternoon.
So now I am considering:
A. Avoiding extra charges by staying in this restricted service until my billing cycle ends
B. Upgrading  to Unlimited on the understanding that I can only eval for one month
Thanks for your patience, just a few small questions:
13. If my billing cycle is from the 22nd will the month of eval be until December 13th or December 22nd?
14. Will I be charged the introductory special offer rate.
15. I thought Plusnet was extremely flexible on switching, I was on the old 2gb £14.95 service and it was suggested I switch to the 15gb BBYW but I was told I could always switch back.
Thanks again for your help and patience.

Quote from: Zap on 12/11/2009, 17:21
1. That's correct - if you're on fixed usage you'll be limited to 128k when you hit the account limit (rather than the limit you set in the data transfer watch).

2. No, that only happens if you tick the box in order to change from fixed usage to flexible.
3(i). Yes - that will change you to the flex option, and extra usage will be added in 1GB chunks (98p each) until your monthly cost hits the amount set in the data transfer watch.
3(ii). No, 98p per 1GB as it's post pay rather than pre-pay (pre-pay would be if you opted to increase your monthly allowance via the dropdown whilst on the fixed cost option).

4. Yes.
5. This is because that is the amount that will be added before you reach the limit set in the data transfer watch (if you were on the flex option).
6. You won't be charged as no extra usage is added - that's why the connection has been limited.
7. Yes, but this won't take effect until after the following month so you'll have 2 months with the higher usage limit and associated charge.
8. Yes.

9. Yes. If you change and it doesn't happen (it should do) drop one of us a PM and we'll get it sorted.
10. If you don't like it we can change you back within the first month, however if you stick with the new account type for longer than that we wouldn't change you back.
11. No, but then the downgrade would happen on your billing date at the end of that month.

Complicated isn't it!
I appreciate your help!

Hope that does help, that was a lot to type first thing on a gloomy Friday 13th Wink Let us know if there's anything we can do to help with this.
Cheers,
Matt
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you will have to get up to date, Unlimited does not exist now
Zap
Grafter

It is so hard to keep up to date, First we had unlimited, then we were told they did not really mean unlimited and so came the fair use policy, then I have seen unlimted referred to meaning no limits on traffic management,
To clarify what I meant was
Plusnet Premium
£11.99
per month
    * £11.99 for next 3 billing months then £19.99 per month thereafter
    * 80GB Usage Allowance
    * Peer-to-Peer/Binary USENET - Expected speeds explained
    * The ultimate broadband package