cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this right? -( speed of my line )

James
Grafter

Re: Is this right? -( speed of my line )

Hi Penfold,
Under BTs reulings, we would not be allowed to move them back to a 1Mbps connection as their downstream line attenuation exceeds 60dB.  we would only be allowed to place an order on Home 500 or IPStream Max (or Home 250).
Evilgenius
Grafter

Your joking? sweet jesus.
James
Grafter

No joke.
Restrictions.
0 - 43dB: 2Mbps
0 - 60dB: 1Mbps
0 - no limt: 512/256Kbps
The reasoning behind this is that fixed rate service can receive a vastly lower data rate than maxdsl ones.  If you have an attenuation of more than 60dB it is quite likely that a fixed rate 1Mbps service will be intermittent.
jmd
Grafter

my speed has dropped in last couple of months.  OK - I have moved home, I am using a wireless router but still cannot understand why I am now getting such slow speeds compared to some of those who complain about theirs on the forums.
According to www.mybroadbandspeed.co.uk I am only getting 949 kbps download and 354 upload.  I am supposed to be on "HighSpeed Broadband"?
I only really use web for surfing and emails but they are starting to take longer to download and web browsing is very slow.
Have tried laptop in various places in house/also router and things do not alter.
The router is a Belkin 54 but I was not aware that using that would affect speed.
Evilgenius
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
No joke.
Restrictions.
0 - 43dB: 2Mbps
0 - 60dB: 1Mbps
0 - no limt: 512/256Kbps
The reasoning behind this is that fixed rate service can receive a vastly lower data rate than maxdsl ones.  If you have an attenuation of more than 60dB it is quite likely that a fixed rate 1Mbps service will be intermittent.

James fair enough, but this simply doesn't explain why my line noise has always been 63dB and ive been able to connect up to 1.4 mb in the past, 1.2 mb in most cases and still have good stability and good throughput.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

James fair enough, but this simply doesn't explain why my line noise has always been 63dB and ive been able to connect up to 1.4 mb in the past, 1.2 mb in most cases and still have good stability and good throughput.

This is because the max product is much better at adapting (not that this was always the case, but now it's matured a bit it certainly is)  to noisier lines than the static 512k, 1mb and 2mb products.
Evilgenius
Grafter

So in short im stuck with this loosey connection? I wonder what my neighbours speed is, hes geographically further away from the exchange than i am by 20-30 feet.
Ill faint if i find out hes on a good fast stable connection lol.
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

worth asking!
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
James
Grafter

Quote from: Evilgenius
So in short im stuck with this loosey connection? I wonder what my neighbours speed is, hes geographically further away from the exchange than i am by 20-30 feet.

Probably very similar to you, but it also depends on how his line routes to the exchange.  It is possible that it takes a shorter or longer route to yours.
Sadly with the infrastructure as it is currently in this country, ADSL is horribly line length dependant.
penfold
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

James.
Thanks. I was just going by my parents experiences. Odd thing is, when moved back to a fixed rate product they were on a USB modem, reporting attn as 60dB. I moved them onto a router, running cat5 cable from the router, plugged into the master to the PC room upstairs. Router now reports attn as 63dB, but they have a very very stable 1Mb connection. Would BT not be prepared to just give it a go, in the interests of customer satisfaction. I presume the OP just wants a stable connection, and with his attn at 63, on max hes not going to get much better than 1Mb, and have an unstable line. He appears to have tried all internal things he can, short of a BT engineer vist.  Just my thoughts Undecided
@EvilGenius.  Did you try the quietline test as suggested by jelv. If you hear noise, then you can report as a voice line fault, and BT are required to do something about it.
James
Grafter

We can certainly try, but it would be very unlikely that BT would budge in instances like this.  Especially as it would require an openreach database change, which generally takes at least a week to happen.
Evilgenius
Grafter

Penfold my line IS stable, its always has been. Only this week the speed has changed and ive been with Plusnet for roughly 3 years m8.  Surely this indicates something else rather than my 63dB which Ive always had...
Ive tried the quite noise line test and nothing. Cant hear a thing, i presume thats exactly what im supposed to hear lol.
Tbfh, id rather take the line out and do without than have to suffer anything less that WHAT i used to be get. Theres no way im paying for this.
James
Grafter

Hi there,
It's looking like a rogue resync event that's causing you to be seeing speeds that low.  Unfortunately it's not showing up in the BT systems that we use and onl;y your BT Speedtest.
Can you possibly try running another one and let me know if you are still seeing an IP Profile of 135Kbps?
If you are, it's something that I need to raise directly with BT Wholesale.
Evilgenius
Grafter

Hi James. Cheers for getting back. Just ran this.
Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test: -provides background information.
IP profile for your line is - 135 kbps
DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM) 1536 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 91 kbps
James
Grafter

Hi,
Thanks for doing that for me.
I've now raised your fault with BT and I should expect an update within the next 24 hours.