cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this process sensible?

deaddog

Is this process sensible?

Apparently all broadband providers are same in one sense, no one takes a customer centric point of view. I will give an example of my experience of switching to PlusNet from BT infinity. I placed an order for broadband on 19th Dec. The order process advises activation in 5 days. Now after an email advisory, this is 10 Jan 2015.  Apparently this is because only new customers with a MAC code can sign up.  Can anyone at Plus-net explain if they have considered the following:
1.  The biggest and most obvious question- customers with fibre broadband or those who never had a broadband will not have a MAC code when they switch to PlusNet. So the so called PlusNet policy of activating in 10 days penalises such customers. Did PlusNet assume their new customers will always have a MAC Code? Even if they may be getting Broadband for first time or with fibre optic BB? They must wait double the time than other customers who may have a MAC code from their previous provider.  But I am a mere mortal unlike wise folks who design such policies at Plus Net.
2. The distance selling regulations mean I can cancel the order by 3 Jan 2015 (14 days after placing order). Now this means I cannot trial the service to make a decision whether to cancel or not as I don't get broadband till 10th Jan 2015. So I must decide to cancel only by the order placing experience. The answer is pretty straight forward, if a company cannot get its order process right surely they must suck at customer service after landing one?
3. The order process advises a 5 day period of activation for broadband. Nowhere it tells the customer it will take effectively more than double (15 working days?) till activation. Have Plus Net heard of providing accurate information to customers?  Is it that hard to have a small message that asks if customers have a MAC code or not and then advises the actual activation period?
Rant over. Time to proceed to cancel the order.  Angry
2 REPLIES 2
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Is this process sensible?

Hi Deaddog,
Welcome to the forums.  I'm sure that someone from PlusNet will come along and add the facts to your particular circumstances, however from a general perspective the following might be useful.
Quote from: deaddog
customers with fibre broadband or those who never had a broadband will not have a MAC code when they switch to PlusNet

Though the industry processes (significantly screwed up by Ofcom) are in the middle of a big change, anyone having any existing broadband service ought to be capable of obtaining a MAC from their old provider.  The use of MACs is in the process of being changed - personally I think is a very bad move as it will leave subscribers open to having their services slammed, similar to the practices of a well known LLU telephone provider.   Only the comment in respect of new customers (those who do not presently have BB on their phone line) is correct.
So the so called PlusNet policy of activating in 10 days penalises such customers.

Any such "policy" is not PlusNet's policy - these are determined and set by Ofcom and all CPs and ISPs are required to abide by them.  The 10 day policy is particularly applicable to taking over an existing phone line.  As I understand it, there is an administrative period of 10 days to allow the loosing provider to confirm with their subscriber that they know of  / have approved the transfer.  Such controls were found necessary when the previously referred to LLU provider was found to be moving people without their consent, a process known as slamming.
There after, it will take until BTOR resources are available in area to arrange the provision.  Between the time of ordering and the time that BTOR appointments can be confirmed, issues might arise which results in BTOR availability being longer than anticipated - this will impact all ISPs alike.
The order process advises a 5 day period of activation for broadband. Nowhere it tells the customer it will take effectively more than double (15 working days?) till activation.
Rant over. Time to proceed to cancel the order.  Angry

I think if you look carefully, you will find that (if all the ducks are in a row) it takes 10 working days to get a phone line taken over, there after it usually then takes 5 days to activate broadband.  The industry is supposed to be moving to simultaneous provision (SIM provide - GC22.14) however looking at historical experience, BTOR are notoriously poor at delivering SIM provision - especially in respect of FTTC.  Such failures on SIM provides requires the failed part of the order to be cancelled and reordered adding even further delay.
You might well be free to cancel and go elsewhere, however underneath everything else, there will be same industry rules and processes to be followed... unless you opt for certain LLU providers, but even they are dependent on BTOR for the last mile.
dick:green Post edited at poster's request.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Is this process sensible?

Hi there.
I can see that you've called through to our Customer Options Team and you've cancelled the order so I'm sorry to hear that you won't be proceeding with this.
Townman has covered most of the points you've raised with regards to the switchover process so there's nothing further I can really add to what's already been said.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team