Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this possible ?? with another router

Reason5
Grafter

Is this possible ?? with another router

Hi guys
I have a spare Linksys router kicking about at home was wondering if I can use it upstairs and
boost my WIFI signal from down stairs .... If so  could someone kindly explain to me how to do so ..
Kind regards in-advance  Grin
7 REPLIES 7
flaminmoses
Grafter

Re: Is this possible ?? with another router

never tried it but as long as it has wifi then i dont see why not.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

You are unlikely to be able to use any spare router as a wireless range extender; you generally have to buy something purpose built.  However if you could run a network cable to the router you could set up an upstairs wireless network.  There is a little configuration that needs to be done but it should work perfectly well.
Reason5
Grafter

Thank's I wanted to do it by wirles if I could ... I'm sure I read somwhere that my spare linsky router could do it but was just wondering how
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Reason5,
It all depends on models / functionality of BOTH routers.  You are talking about WDS (Wireless Distribution Service).  As a start point read the manual for both routers and see if they mention WDS.
If this does not help, you could try getting a pair of ethernet over power bridges.  Use this to 'deliver' an ethernet connection upstairs and then plug you other router into this.  In most cases you can get an ADLS modem / router to work solely as an access point (AP) with a little tweaking of the settings.
HTH.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Reason5
Grafter

Thank you it's an old  linksys WRT54G whach I believe have WDS so I guess I better start reading about it . Undecided
tokey
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Reason5
Thank you it's an old  linksys WRT54G whach I believe have WDS so I guess I better start reading about it . Undecided

I did exactly what you are talking about with an old WRT54G.
Personally I think the best way to achieve this is to flash the router with DD-Wrt (http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index)
Once the new firmware is in place, its a lot simpler to achieve all sorts of different things through a nice to use interface.
I even managed to link two houses together via a wireless bridge using two of these.
Plenty of documentation around on using DD-wrt infact it was a cisco engineer that put me onto it in the first place.  The linksys router you have actually ended up being re-released because of the popularity of DD-wrt!
Blim
Grafter

Does the dd-wrt firmware allow repeater mode or does the router have to specifically support it?
Edit: sry didnt read last post Tongue