ogawd
Grafter

Is this as fast as I will get?

Thomson Gateway Bandwidth (up/down) kbps 448/1248
BT speedtest results at 09.18 :-
448kbps/1088kbps
IP profile 750kbps
Actual 655 kbps
I'm on Option 1. I'm about 3 miles from the exchange, so I'm not expecting a super fast connection.
I did a 278MB download (between 6-8am). It took about 59 minutes. That works out at 78.5KBps (if my calculation is correct). Hmmm. That's not very fast.
I read that you should plug your router into the BT master socket. Will it make that much difference?
37 REPLIES 37
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Is this as fast as I will get?

If you can give your router stats we may have a better idea
Noise Margin
Attenuation
Speed
That download is equivalent to 628kbps so not far off the IP profile and the speed test result
mal0z
Grafter

Have you just got your B/B connection - if yes - then it may well speed up during the training period of 10 days -
If there are problems with your household wiring then yes - so yes it is worth trying the test socket behind the faceplate of the Master socket.
Unscrew it and you will see another socket behind it.
adheelios
Grafter

Hey ogawd, thanks for raising this.
As mal0z suggested you are still in your 10 days training period, you might want to do a couple more of these speed tests over the coming days and see if there is a increase in your sync speed.
Connecting to the test socket is also a great idea as you might find connecting to this point increases your sync speed by quite a bit.  I think your line has had broadband for the first time?

I tried running some tests on your line to confirm the sync/SNR but looks like your router is off at the moment, but let us know if you have any further q's. Wink
mal0z
Grafter

One more thing -
Adheel says your router seems to be off....
You need to leave it on and connected permanently for the first few days of "training", so that the exchange equipment can assess the quality of your line and so adjust your profile. It can't do this if the router is off.
Furthermore the general advice seems to be to turn off the router every 24 hours for a short while before turning back on.
ogawd
Grafter

Thanks for the advice.

Yes this is a new line, and my first use of braodband. Been waiting 5 years for BT to install copper lines to our estate.

I have been disconnecting the router after going offline or shutting down my computer. When you say leave the the router permanently on, I assume you mean just the router and not my computer as well.
The router is connected via microfilter to an extension socket. The extension wiring is 5 years old (as is the property) and was installed by the builder's electrician. The problem with using the master socket is that I use a wired ethernet connection, I do not have a wireless adapter card, and I'm a bit concerned about security issues with wireless.
I'll monitor the speed over the next 10 days and post any updates.
Where will I find stats for noise margin, attenuation, and speed stats that Oldjim refers to? I have a 4 port wireless Thomson router TG585v7 - software 7.4.4.7.   
mal0z
Grafter

Quote from: ogawd

I have been disconnecting the router after going offline or shutting down my computer. When you say leave the the router permanently on, I assume you mean just the router and not my computer as well.

Yes - just leave the router on - you can turn off PC
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

I don't have a 585v7 but this worked for my old 585v6 http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0
If you aren't using wireless it would be worthwhile disabling it
James
Grafter

Just to clear things up.
You don't *have* to leave the router turned on.  Generally at least one power cycle a day is recoomended as long as multiple powercycles aren't done within a 15 minute period, all should be fine.
ogawd
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
Just to clear things up.
You don't *have* to leave the router turned on.  Generally at least one power cycle a day is recoomended as long as multiple powercycles aren't done within a 15 minute period, all should be fine.

Thanks for clarifying that.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Just to check: you have the router plugged in to an extension via a filter. Do you have anything else plugged in to the master socket or any other socket (phone, Sky box etc.) and if so is it plugged in via a filter?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

The link provided by Oldjim will take you directly to the Thomson TG585v7 stats page. However to get there using the menus:
Browse to 192.168.1.254
click Broadband Connection (purple box)
click DSL Connection (within the expanded purple box)
click Details (top-right under the Plusnet logo)
The most important stats are:
Bandwidth (Up/Down)
Line Attenuation (Up/Down)
SN Margin (Up/Down)
David
ogawd
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Just to check: you have the router plugged in to an extension via a filter. Do you have anything else plugged in to the master socket or any other socket (phone, Sky box etc.) and if so is it plugged in via a filter?

Q1. Yes. Router is pluged into an extension via a filter. Telephone (corded) also plugged into this extension via filter.
Q2. No. Nothing is plugged into master socket or any other extension (otherthan the telephone and router referred to in Q1).
Stats are:-
Bandwidth (Up/Down)kbps 448/1120
Line attenuation (Up/Down) dB 31.5/61.0
SN margin (Up/Down) dB 15.0/11.5

James
Grafter

So you have:
Master Socket --> Filter ---> Telephone
Extension Socket ---> Filter ---> Router
                                                ---->Telephone
Or is it an extension cable rather than an extension socket?
ogawd
Grafter

I have this arrangement:-
Master socket -> Nothing connected.
Ist Extension socket -> Filter -> Router
                                              -> Telephone
2nd Extension socket -> Nothing connected