Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there something wrong with my router

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Is there something wrong with my router

Thomson TG585 supplied by Plusnet about 18months ago???
Every 60 secs the wireless connection (mine is the blue one - top trace )... seems to "drop" causing the two spikes downward.  Wondering if this is causing me to have slow speeds and jerky videos on you tube?
Note, the other signals seem to be more "fluid" and have less spikes... ( apart from the third one down!)...
See pic attached
7 REPLIES 7
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Is there something wrong with my router

Quote from: shutter
...Wondering if this is causing me to have slow speeds and jerky videos on you tube?

Try a wired connection.  If that improves your You Tube then yes it was.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

Are you using windows vista?
If so the problem may be vista doing it's wireless scan ever 60 seconds.
http://fragged.org/windows-vista-wi-fi-lag-every-60-seconds-the-nightmare-of-every-gamer_761.html
shutter
Community Veteran

Yes, I am using Vista Home Premium on a Dell Inspiron laptop. (intel inside)  Wink
But I can`t understand what that lot of "fixes" means, so not going to try...  Sad
Kelly
Hero
Fixes: 9

Quote from: shutter
Every 60 secs the wireless connection (mine is the blue one - top trace )... seems to "drop" causing the two spikes downward.  Wondering if this is causing me to have slow speeds and jerky videos on you tube?

See that often?  Or just tonight?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
shutter
Community Veteran

Been there since I had it  .....I think I did post about it soon after, but can`t remember if I did or not...  Roll_eyes
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

do you have access to another wireless device to try connecting to the same router?
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
shutter
Community Veteran

Hi Adam.... Yes, I do.... I have a "Hanspree 10" laptop.... pics below.
The first pic 001 is taken with the laptop about 3 to 4 feet away from the router ... the second pic is taken with the 10" laptop in front of my "normal" laptop . The router is about 12 inches above the top of the main laptop scren, and therefore about 15 inches from the Router Aerial
As you can see there is a characteristic W dip every 60 seconds ( albeit smaller) on the 10" screen...... The 10" was the only one actually connected to the router at the time the pics were taken.
Normal laptop running Vista Home Premium ( totally power off).... and the 10" is running W7 Starter.