cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there something wrong with my fibre speeds?

Lemmiwinks
Grafter

Is there something wrong with my fibre speeds?

I've had fibre over 2 weeks now with no improvement in speed. In my PN profile it states:
Estimated line speed:
43Mb (Download speed could vary depending on line conditions. Estimates are the maximum speeds that your phone line can support. These speeds are dependent on the package you choose.) - Checked on 2014-04-25 21:10:31
Current line speed:
41.2 Mb

Yet speedtests never seem to get above 39mb, BTW test results:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 39.65 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 34.08 Mbps-42.6 Mbps .
Additional Information:
IP Profile for your line is - 42.6 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 6.07Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 20 Mbps

Does this seem normal to anyone else? I would have thought if my IP profile was 42.6 that I would be hitting nearer that. My upload speeds fall way short of the BT infinity estimates and my maximum download speed indicated by PN seems to be the minimum speed that BT are reporting. I know it's just an estimate but it seems way off.
3 REPLIES 3
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Re: Is there something wrong with my fibre speeds?

Hi Lemmiwinks,
I've just taken a look at your connection and here's your line stats:
Downstream Speed: 44.0 Mbps
Upstream Speed:      8.0 Mbps
Your line is erroring quite a bit though. Do you have anything electrical other than your router located near to your Openreach Modem?
Your current speeds are very, very close to your estimates, in the first instance, I'd just check to ensure that the speeds are tested via Ethernet and that there's nothing internally that could be causing interference.
Lemmiwinks
Grafter

Hi Chris
No, nothing else beside the modem other than my router. This is a brand new house, so I wouldn't think wiring would be an issue too. All hooked up via ethernet. I understand its close to your estimates, but it's pretty far off BT's. Generally an estimation of 43-60mb would serve somewhere nearer the middle in my experience, rather than less than the bottom end. The upload speed estimation is almost 5mb out. Am I just being too optimistic?
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Hmm.
So that we can rule out the router causing any potential issues, would you be able to test via a PPPoE connection?
http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/fibre-help-how-to-set-up-a-pppoe-dialler-in-vistawindows...