Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there any cure for 51dB line attenuation

oliverb
Grafter

Is there any cure for 51dB line attenuation

Other than moving I mean...
Got this at work, and its annoying, although at least the noise problems have cleared up since we ditched an old computer with a duff PSU.
I think the line may have a higher than normal noise margin too, how can I find this out?
9 REPLIES 9
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Is there any cure for 51dB line attenuation

Hi oliverb,
I have seen the attenuation change with different routers, although that normally doesn't make any difference. Your current SNR is 11dB, which will bring your sync rate down by about 1500k, so I could maybe reset that to 6dB for you but your line would then enter the 10 day training period and the noise could still go up. I don't mind giving it a try for you though.
Jojo Smiley
youngsyp
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
I have seen the attenuation change with different routers
I can atest to this and saw a stark example on Saturday when I plugged the Plusnet provided Thompson 585 in for the first time. I replaced a Netgear DG834PN with it and my downstream line attenuation dropped from 60dB to 53dB. Quite an achievement!
Paul
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: youngsyp
Quite an achievement!

Probably not. Sad
Attenuation is a measure of how long your line is, changing routers doesn't make it shorter.  Grin
Routers report attenuation in different ways, for example by taking the value related to an individual tone, or an average.
So, it's a "feature" of different measurement methods, not an achievement.  Wink
oliverb
Grafter

FWIW both a Billion 7402G and a Draytek 2600X report similar values. I think I'll leave it alone for now, as I might change router again soon.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI guys,
have a look at this thread from a couple of weeks ago where the attenuation went from 67 to 17 because of a dodgy router.
Jojo Smiley
youngsyp
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Attenuation is a measure of how long your line is
No it isn't. Attenuation is a term used to describe the reduction in ADSL signal strength over distance. Decibels being the measurement. A measure of length would be in metres, feet etc...  Wink
It's not just line length that affects line attenuation. What cable has been used will affect it as will the condition of the cable and any joints in said cable... Clearly moot though as I've not moved.
Quote from: HPsauce
Routers report attenuation in different ways, for example by taking the value related to an individual tone, or an average.
So, it's a "feature" of different measurement methods, not an achievement.  Wink
Clearly, any difference in figures would be slight though and not by factors of more than 4 times.
It's also worth mentioning that my Be supplied Thompson TG585 showed attenuation to be around 56dB. Same exchange, same house, same line (although different equipment in the exchange).
To add to that, my indicated line attenuation should have increased with my switch to Plusnet as I'm on an ADSL2+ service now where as, I was on an ADSL1 service with Be. Clearly that's not the case though.  Smiley
Paul
oliverb
Grafter

I'd guess that a router could have a "broken" DSL port and still have some performance at reduced speed. A damaged capacitor or "dry joint" near the transformer might do it.
HPsauce
Pro

I was on an ADSL1 service with Be.

That is unusual, Be is normally  an ADSL2+ service....
HPsauce
Pro

No it isn't.

measurement: the act or process of assigning numbers to phenomena according to a rule.
So, yes Attenuation is a measure of the length of your line.
Doesn't have to be linear or correlate easily to any other measure, such a length in metres......
Well, to be pedantic, it's a measure. And it's related to the length of the line.  Cool