cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a way to set different DNS servers in my new FTTC connection?

PhilipGoddard

Is there a way to set different DNS servers in my new FTTC connection?

I've just had my FTTC fibre service installed today, and am very pleased with the speed and ease of installation / getting started, and with the traffic speeds (I'm getting at least 77Mbps d/l and 19.5 u/l). However, one thing slightly frustrates / disappoints me at the moment, in that it appears that there are few facilities for me to configure the connection settings, even with auto-setup disabled in my Member Centre. Actually it's just one thing I want to change, and that is to specify a different pair of DNS servers (the Comodo ones, for extra security). Please, is there a way I could do this? -- Many thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: Is there a way to set different DNS servers in my new FTTC connection?

Have a mooch here..
http://www.npr.me.uk/
PhilipGoddard

Thank you - but that is too much of a geek's method - particularly as, it is claimed there, the ISP's DNS settings would reappear at some point, implying that I would have to keep going through the purgatory of running Telnet and entering all those cryptic commands.
30FTTC06
Pro
Fixes: 4

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

you could also set them individually on your pc - I don't know about tablets etc.
PhilipGoddard

Thank you for further replies.
I have no stomach for the Telnet messing around, but I did enter the Comodo DNS server addresses in the IPv4 Properties in the Network and Sharing Centre entry for my Internet connection (Ethernet, from desktop PC in Win 8.1), though somehow I doubt whether that would have any effect if the router DNS setting is the Plusnet one.
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Yes it does
Open a Command Prompt and type in ipconfig /all (note the space between config and /all)and it will show the ones you have set
This is from mine
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 8.8.8.8
PhilipGoddard

Goodness me, thanks for that, Jim!  I've just checked with IPconfig, and, yes, it shows the Comodo DNS servers.  I still can't quite get my head around the DNS server settings on a computer not being overridden by those in the router, but if that's really the way it is, that's great news for me, and I needn't bother myself further about the router settings.  As I have only the one computer to configure, this has been no real hassle. Apparently, problem solved. Thank you to all who've replied to my query!  Smiley