cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a national system problem with intermittent PPP disconnects

MRV
Dabbler

Is there a national system problem with intermittent PPP disconnects

Over the last few weeks I have been experiencing regular intermittent failures where my PPP connection is lost and then takes several minutes to reconnect, during this time I cannot access any internet resources/pages.

I have done all the usual local diagnostics and currently have the router (a technicolour one by the way) plugged directly into the test socket of the master socket as it enters my property. Unfortunately I cannot "try another router" as for some strange reason I don't have spare routers lying around at home!

The line does not "seem" noisy, but i have never been able to check it "just before" PPP disconnects.

At one stage it failed about 4 times in a row over about 10-15 minutes, at other times 2-3 times a day.

Prior to these recent few weeks I have NEVER had any sort of issue like this and NOTHING in my equipment has changed.

I was bemoaning the lack of progress and silence from customer support to my son who is a Plusnet Fibre customer in Nottinghamshire (I live in Cheshire) so definitely not the same exchange etc. and he too has been experiencing similar problems... and that got me thinking...

Does this indicate that there might be a more fundamental centralised problem with the PPP connections that PN have either not yet figured out or are keeping quiet about?

Given that I joined PN at least in part because of their customer service reputation, as a long time customer I am disappointed that the first time I need them they have not met my expectations!

I have been considering switching to PN Fibre but there is no way I'm going to do that unless they can resolve my current issue.

10 REPLIES 10
SarahD

Re: Is there a national system problem with intermittent PPP disconnects

I was going to post a similar question.

Had problems for days and then last night I would get a few minutes internet access and then the page would return to the HubManager which said everything was connected correctly.

Seemed to be that I was connected okay but something else not connected beyond.

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

have either of you raised a broadband fault with Plusnet

SarahD

No... I may have to if it is the same this evening.

MRV
Dabbler

Yup...

That was part of my beef... i went through the fault find wizard which asked me to do a load of things (swapping to test socket, new Filter etc. etc) and submitted a call.

Then... was asked to do them all again... Grrr.

They are now switching my line to interleaved...  not too much of an issue for me, but unlikely to make my son happy when the lag causes him to get beaten at FIFA, but if it sorts the problem hey ho lets wait and see!

What bothers me is that my line has been fine as it was for several years, obviously (or so it seems to me) something physical has degraded for it to now need to be "switched" to interleaved and rather than rectifying that they dodge the issue.

I would not even have thought there might be something more fundamental at PN until my (other) son who lives away) mentioned a similar issue also starting for him in exactly the same time frame.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hi @SarahD and @MRV

I'd definitely advise reporting a fault. Although you may notice disconnections as PPP disconnects, or that may be what the router shows, it's possible that the line is dropping sync so reporting the fault allows us to get this tested and see what we can do to help.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
MRV
Dabbler

@Chris as above, been reported, not yet resolved. I presume at staff you can look and see what has been going on. I have posted a couple of Router logs on the fault call.

MRV
Dabbler

Log attached, not had any feedback on it so far.

SarahD

This will just be the start of another big headache.

I get my line from BT and broadband from PlusNet so I keep finding problems disappear into the gulf between.

I was assured that Fibre and a new router (left on all the time) would solve all my problems and it did for quite some time but now... no idea.

MRV
Dabbler

I was thinking of upgrading to fibre.... not anymore!

My download speed has dropped from around 14M to 3M today!

SarahD

Fibre is stacks better.

My actual problem was that I had reset the router when the line dropped out and it had reset the login.

No idea why the line keeps cutting out but apart from a 15mins wait to be answered (they did tell me that) it was solved quickly.