Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the gateway checker working?

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Re: Is the gateway checker working?

Is this related in any way to Phorm, Webwise or anything of that ilk?

No, the Aladdin trial is to simply block access to sites based on certain classifications as per the blog linked earlier in this thread.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Chris
Is this related in any way to Phorm, Webwise or anything of that ilk?

No, the Aladdin trial is to simply block access to sites based on certain classifications as per the blog linked earlier in this thread.

I'm pleased that Aladdin do not intercept my traffic.  Smiley
I've had a read of their site.
I don't know how Aladdin can block access to web resources without intercepting my IP traffic, matching it against my identity and making appropriate decisions. There is no technical detail, but am I correct in assuming that it is also looking at content etc?

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

zubel
Community Veteran

No, you're incorrect.
It works a little like the IWF proxies, but without being a proxy.  There is a list of material that is categorised into various categories (adult, malware etc) and this is blocked on a per-IP (and soon a per-user) basis.
It's completely opt-in.
B.
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Quote from: Barry
No, you're incorrect.
It's completely opt-in.

Glad to hear that it's going to be strictly opt-in.
The blog seemed to give the impression that it would be obligatory on all users.
In my opinion, the task of maintaining the classification of every web site, in a timely manner, will prove prohibitive.
Especially as a mis-classification is going to leave someone open to a libel accusation Grin
The IWF effort only works because of it's quasi-governmental status, coupled with human investigation of it's blacklists (and it's much tighter focus).

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

zubel
Community Veteran

Actually, I've been on the trial for quite some time and the results are encouraging.
I've even hopped between different blocking profiles, and in the main the classification has fallen within pretty much what I expect - a couple of false positives and a couple of false negatives which were updated within hours.
I think the eventual idea is to offer it as part and parcel of a comprehensive security suite - and as a part of an overall solution I think it will fit very well.
B.