cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the PN router already configured? problem?

jmd
Grafter

Is the PN router already configured? problem?

Right, a friend of mine has joined PN on my recommendation to save money and supposedly get better service. [even though I have migrated to Sky to save money] and she was previously on AOL.  She was given the changeover date and router arrived so she connected it - contacted AOL who have sent her a letter saying service cancelled from them.

BUT, she is still on AOL for the internet - I have sorted over the phonewith her the email so she is now getting PN emails but the web is via AOL! She rang PN last week who gave her the same instructions as she already had. Has sent a ticket to CS who have told her to cancel  with AOL which she already has done so so that is not very helpful.
I was under impression that routers were now sent out already configured [like my Sky one was/is] and so therefore when you installed it you were connected to PN?  So as she is not does that mean the router is faulty?  Only it is not allowing her to install it manually.
I have told her to ring PN again and hopefully get someone who can sort this out for her.  I am now wishing that I had not suggested PN to her!
But can anyone help with this?  She uses Windows XP/Internet Explorer,  and ethernet cable to connect router.
12 REPLIES 12
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Re: Is the PN router already configured? problem?

If she's using the Plusnet router then she's on Plusnet.  What makes her think otherwise? 
You can have an AOL account and log onto it with any Internet connection.  If she can still access her old AOL account that just means AOL have not discontinued it.
jmd
Grafter

Customer Services told her she is still with AOL - but as I said she is using PN email now - so not sure what is happening there at all.  Unfortunately I do not live any where near her so cannot go and look at her computer to sort it out! 
Vip3r
Grafter

Get her to run a speed test from
http://www.speedtest.net/ and it will tell her what ISP she is using. (and speed  ;))
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

"Customer Services"??  Plusnet Customer Services?  AOL Customer Services?  If she were still connected  to AOL she would need to have knowingly reprogrammed the Plusnet router with her AOL user name (in the right format) and her AOL password in order to get a broadband connection.  She hasn't done that, ergo she must be connected to Plusnet.
Tell her there is a program on her computer called Internet Explorer that she can use to access the internet without having to enter any sort of password and without being inundated with pop-up advertisements.  If she's been using AOL for a long time she has probably been conditioned to use the AOL browser, it will still be the default browser, the full gamut of AOL software will still be running and she'll probably still be able to log on to AOL with her old account credentials.  But none of this means AOL is her ISP.    
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI jmdlp,
Forgive me if this is totally off the mark, but I have seen customers with the same confusion many times and it is merely that the wording at the top of the browser says something like:
'Internet explorer - provided by AOL'  or simply that the home page is still set to the old ISP
Neither of these mean that the subscriber is with the previous ISP, they are just local settings.
Jojo Smiley
jmd
Grafter

Thanks for the information - have passed to link onto her to read and hopefully join Forum.  I thought that might be case Jojo but with Plusnet Customer Services confusing her - one saying she was still with AOL, one not sure who she was with[!?] but to cancel again with AOL by letter I wanted someone to clarify it!
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro

Maybe Plusnet should supply an "Old ISP removal tool" that removes the customisations in the Internet Explorer (and Outlook Express) title (easily done) and offers some options to reset the Home Page?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jmdlp,
If they can pop on here that'd be good because I"d be able to check the connection logs.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi jmdlp,
Your friend is definitely connected to us.
Jojo Smiley
jmd
Grafter

That is good - thanks again for checking jo!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No worries, don't forget she can get 24hr support on the phone from us if she needs it.
Jojo Smiley
jmd
Grafter

Yes, but it was support who told her that she was still connected to AOL!  but it is good to know that some folk know what they are doing........................... Smiley