cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is the NTP Service Working?

EmmaAtkinson
Dabbler

Is the NTP Service Working?

I have my computers set up to sync with ntp.plus.net. 
I heard the pips on Radio 4 FM at 09:00 am this morning and the time on my PC was approx 20 seconds fast.
Would someone please confirm whether or not the Plusnet NTP service is working?
I phoned the help desk as there appears to be no online support mentioning NTP and no online trouble ticket system.
After some insistence the help desk op suggested I post here.
Please let me know if there is a better forum for this sort of problem.
Thank you
Emma
6 REPLIES 6
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: Is the NTP Service Working?

Welcome to the forum Emma.
Did you do an 'Update Now' prior to doing this check.
I've just checked ntp.plus.net and it's spot on to my radio controlled watch.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Hi Emma,
Welcome to the forums, where you'll find help from other customers (like me) and the PlusNET Digital CareTeam (DCT).
My router is certainly getting time updates from PN's NTP service, is it correct to the second, I don't know.
One question for you to confirm please, is your PC configured to use PN's NTP service for time updates?  Can you confirm the last time your PC did a time check?  You can find these setting on control panel - date / time settings.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

EmmaAtkinson
Dabbler

It looks like a problem here.
Some posts on OpenSUSE forums suggest systemd is finding ntp startup scripts indigestible.
In fact it might be broken in more than one way
Question is do I configure it manually or wait for someone with an interest in NTP to come up with a fix?
Hmmm...
Thank you.
Emma
TORPC
Grafter

Hi Emma
Have you tried a different NTP server http://www.pool.ntp.org/zone/uk
You can change the NTP settings via a Telnet session
[code=Telnet file=SNTP  -- Change time server settings]
Command Comments
sntp list List the time servers
sntp add name=2.uk.pool.ntp.org Add a time server.
This can be done in the routers GUI
sntp delete name=2.uk.pool.ntp.org Delete a time server.
This can be done in the routers GUI
sntp config poll=360
saveall Set poll interval to 6 hours.
Default is 60 minutes.
system settime View system time settings
[/code]

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

Emma,
Ahh not a dependable windows PC but an overly complicated unix type server...  Wink
Went to look at where you pointed and found this thread -  http://forums.opensuse.org/showthread.php/490774-NTP-client-configuration - see post #6.
Have you checked the PN firewall in the PN user portal?  IIRC. Only low / off enables NTP operation - there is though a lot of clear guidance there.
Kevin
PS: @TORPC - your suggestion configures NTP in the router.  The issue here is with the PC's NTP configuration.  Emma has not indicated where her "PC" is looking for its NTP service, only that the clock on her "PC" is out by 20 seconds.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

drunkenmonkey
Grafter

Could this be the source of the issues?
A massive attack that exploited a key vulnerability in the infrastructure of the internet is the "start of ugly things to come", it has been warned.
Hosting and security firm Cloudflare said it recorded what was the "biggest ever" attack of its kind on Monday.
Hackers used weaknesses in the Network Time Protocol (NTP), a system used to synchronise computer clocks, to flood servers with huge amounts of data.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-26136774