cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is somebody else using my broadband?

dan25

Is somebody else using my broadband?

Hi guys, I'm just a bit concerned, when my laptop is switched off, the internet light and wifi light on my router still flashes now and again and sometimes quite regular for long periods,  is somebody else using my internet?
It is very annoying especially if I want to watch something on now tv on my television as the programme I am watching keeps stopping to buffer.
Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 77

Re: Is somebody else using my broadband?

What else do you have connected to your router?
It is fairly easy to log on to it, look at the connections, and work out if its something you don't recognise, well it is in most cases. Have a look at Help and Support pages for your router, look at the attached devices. But anything connected will produce traffic, sky boxes will download things they might think you may want to watch, many other devices will upgrade apps and so on.
dan25

Thanks Mustrum,
                              I go wireless only, have my laptop and now tv box set up to my router, but even with both appliances switched off at the plug I still get both internet and wifi lights flashing on the router, was unable to view Youtube vids for a short time earlier on this evening. I dunno.
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Anonymous
Not applicable

How will this help with the OPs original question?
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

Don't think it will, Mook  Smiley
However, I reccomend  SoftPerfects WiFi Guard - https://www.softperfect.com/products/wifiguard/
Just make sure to scroll to the bottom of the page and select the Windows Installer package - there are one or two ads before you get there.
John
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Quote from: Mook
How will this help with the OPs original question?
It'll show other wifi devices in his immediate vicinity that MAY be pirating his connection if he's not
using adequate security measures on his wifi connection.
Anonymous
Not applicable

OK, when you say devices do you mean just that (i.e. a neighbours phone) or other network access points?