Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is plusnet having problems with there network

curtains
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Is plusnet having problems with there network

Is plusnet having problems with there network as I've been having problems with my internet since last night. The internet is working one moment then I get kicked off. If I check my router the broadband light keeps flashing and the internet goes out. 

10 REPLIES 10
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Re: Is plusnet having problems with there network

Your connection is very intermittent as shown below but our tests aren't showing any obvious cause.

I'd recommend heading through the steps to raise a fault here

image14629702113210

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
curtains
Grafter

Since posting about the fault my internet has come back on. Did someone forget to turn on the switch.

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 479

Unfortunately no such switch exists I'm afraid.

If it starts dropping again I'd recommend raising a fault.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
curtains
Grafter

It's dropping again so I will raise a fault.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)

Pointless post removed

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

The graph shows a total disconnection overnight, do you switch your router off at all? This won't be why your connection is dropping, but it's worth noting that keeping your router on as often as possible will give you better speeds, generally.

The more your connection drops/gets turned off, the more likely the automated line management system is likely to kick in and try to slow your broadband down, it does this because it can't tell the difference between a drop in your connection, or you turning it off, so it simply slows your connection down in a bid to try and stabilise the line.

Regarding the dropping connection, is your router located near anything electrical at all? I'm wondering if your router is suffering from any electrical interference (more common than you think!). Is it near a TV, Radio, Boiler or anything at all? Have you had any outdoor works in your locality that might have caused a disturbance to your line?

It could be one of so many different things, it's really useful to try and narrow down what the cause could be. It could be a fault outside of your control, which, if is the case, we can get that fixed for you. 

To be sure though, if you haven't already, it's always worth connection your router into your Test Socket and if you've got a spare Microfilter, try that as well and see if that helps stabilise your line. Just want to try and help ensure it's not something being caused by faulty equipment (it does happen) or anything internal.

It's frustrating when your connection keeps dropping, so anything that can be done to try and rule out anything internal causing the problem is really essential and will help speed up the diagnosis of the problem.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Chris has raised all of the issues I thought of having seen the connection graph.

Can you think of any electrical appliance you used on the day showing all of the disconnections that is not normally used?  It does not need to be particularly near to the router.  It could be something new, it could be something old.

If you see the issue again, it might be worthwhile looking for things to unplug from the mains - turning off might not be enough.  Power blocks as used by laptops, screens, TV top boxes etc. can deteriorate without actually falling - in such circumstances they can play havoc with ADSL operation.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

curtains
Grafter

After doing the test you posted I found out I didn't have a dial tone on my phone.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

No dial tone suggests that the broadband has been limping along on one side of the pair.  If PlusNET are your phone provider, you can use the link below,to report the fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav)
I have removed the fix as it appears the issue is ongoing.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still