cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my speed still being "capped" after migrating from Waitrose?

mhaffy
Dabbler

Is my speed still being "capped" after migrating from Waitrose?

I have just been migrated across from Waitrose to PlusNet Premium. I was on the initial Waitrose unlimited package which "capped" my download speed to 1mb - my Netgear router connection speed consistently showed 1152kbps connection speed.
PlusNet checks on my line indicated speed of up to 8mbps.So far on PlusNet my router continues to show 1152kbps and every speed test I have run, including the one on the Plusnet site give download speed 0.9mbps consistently.
Am concerned that somehow the old Waitrose 1mbps cap is still being consistently applied to my line (despite the switch) and that i will be not be benefitting from having migrated!
Have checked my router stats which show following:
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Connection Speed 1152 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 20.0 db 9.0 db
Noise Margin 30.1 db 28.0 db
I have disconneced/reconnected my router several times.
Would appreciate your feedback/advice.
23 REPLIES 23
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Re: Is my speed still being "capped" after migrating from Waitrose?

this may be your problem..... leave it connected 24/7 for the next three days, then do a re-boot during daylight hours  10:30 to  15:00...
then do a bt speedtest just after re-connecting, and post the results on here.....
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

I'd say that was a pretty blatant failure to change settings by whoever is reponsible in BT/PN.
However, there may be a timescale to do this, but it should surely be less than 1 working day.
If it's still like that 24 hours after you've migrated then raise a ticket or, better, phone support.
(as Shutter says, DON'T reboot the router frequently)
mhaffy
Dabbler

Thanks for advice. I will give it a try. I believe that checks on line are made over first 10 days to establish what speed your line can support and was concerned that if the old waitrose cap was still in place it may affect the outcome. Fingers crossed.
Apprentice
Grafter

Quote from: mhaffy
I have just been migrated across from Waitrose to PlusNet Premium. I was on the initial Waitrose unlimited package which "capped" my download speed to 1mb - my Netgear router connection speed consistently showed 1152kbps connection speed.
PlusNet checks on my line indicated speed of up to 8mbps.So far on PlusNet my router continues to show 1152kbps and every speed test I have run, including the one on the Plusnet site give download speed 0.9mbps consistently.
Am concerned that somehow the old Waitrose 1mbps cap is still being consistently applied to my line (despite the switch) and that i will be not be benefitting from having migrated!
Have checked my router stats which show following:
ADSL Link  Downstream  Upstream
Noise Margin 30.1 db 28.0 db
Would appreciate your feedback/advice.

The Upstream connection speed of 288 Kbps and the Noise margin stats would suggest that you are still on a fixed speed connection and haven't been upgraded to the Up to 8Mbps PN package yet.

Alastair
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Apprentice
you are still on a fixed speed connection

Precisely.
Quote from: HPsauce
blatant failure to change settings
 Wink
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It's possible the system is taking migration to Plusnet one step at a time, first moving your service (still on 1M fixed speed), then moving it to maxDSL (up-to-8M) and finally to ADSL2+ (up-to-20M) if your exchange is 21CN enabled. Checking your service notices/tickets in the Member Centre (link) might give a clue what is going on. Probably you need to select to View Closed Questions on the drop-down menu, then click Expand All Questions to see the text.
Alternatively give the CSC a ring and ask.
The good news is that with your 20dB downstream attenuation you should be able to sync at 8128kbps on maxDSL (though that would need interleaving turned off - which I wouldn't expect to cause problems for you).
David
David
mhaffy
Dabbler

Checking service notices/tickets in the Member Centre but could not see any reference to changing fixed settings etc.
Raised a ticket but just reply was just standard one about "BT keep eyes on things for first 10 days etc"....
Will BT keeping an eye on speeds for first 10 days actually spot if my 1mb cap has been left on?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

give till tomorrow a member of the comms team should pick it up - they dont do paid work weekends
mhaffy
Dabbler

Just checked my current profile speed by following plusnet link which shows following:
Estimated line speed:
    8 - Checked on 2010-02-23 10:34:12
Current line speed:
However router stats sill showing 1152 kbps downstream etc (per old Waitrose cap)
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Noise Margin 30.3 db 28.0 db
Will router stat speeds change automatically over time or do I have to umplg it and boot it up again to sync up at, hopefully, the 7150 current line speed plusnet quote?
Confused newbie!
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: mhaffy
Raised a ticket but just reply was just standard one about "BT keep eyes on things for first 10 days etc"....
Will BT keeping an eye on speeds for first 10 days actually spot if my 1mb cap has been left on?

NO!
The ticket reply is WRONG (though I sort of don't blame them, you are working and there are loads of misunderstandings by new users)
You do need someone a bit more "clued up" and that's probably on Monday, they not unreasonably will only get involved in serious problems at the weekend.
Reboot once a day only.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

cant find the link on mine as I am already on full ADSL, but in the members centre, broadband is a click for Max DSL  (over 1 Mb), could it be that?
mhaffy
Dabbler

No response to my ticket so called Technical Support who confirmed that settings had, for some unknown reason, not be changed and that 1 mbps cap still being applied. They advised it should be sorted within 48 hours. Fingers crossed.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: HPsauce
raise a ticket or, better, phone support.

Let us know the outcome now they recognise the problem, hopefully faster than 48 hours.  Roll_eyes
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can confirm that one of the CSC has placed a modify order due to complete tomorrow to move you on to MaxDSL.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.