cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my router causing intermittent problem with internet radio?

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

Is my router causing intermittent problem with internet radio?

I am using 582n with latest ADSL2+ firmware to connect wirelessly to connect to the radio. This is in the next room.
Most times I turn the radio on and connecting/buffering are dealt with in a few seconds, but spasmodically the process hangs at the connecting stage. The only  dodge is to power recycle at the wall socket.
Could this be anything to do with the router? Rough RSSI is -35dB in middle of room with radio.
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
5 REPLIES 5
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Is my router causing intermittent problem with internet radio?

Hi lucerne,

Have you tried changing the Wifi channel on the router? doing that uses different frequencies which *should* in effect rule out that interfering with any frequencies used by the radio
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Luzern
Hero

No, but I thought channel changes are to deal with nearby users employing the same channel. Last Saturday, when I took RSSI readings, INSSIDR showed no one using channel 11.
What frequencies would an internet radio be likely to use, and what channels would they equate to in the router? Do you know, perhaps, or am i barking up a wron tree? Undecided Smiley
Intermittent problems! Roll_eyes
No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Different wireless channels actually utilise different frequencies as per what's described here: http://compnetworking.about.com/od/wireless80211/a/choosing-the-best-wireless-channels-for-your-netw...
I'm not sure what precise frequencies our routers use (can try and find out if you like) but changing channels does as you said help avoid interference from other local networks that may be using the same channels but it does so by changing the frequency used by the router.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

The fact that inssider can't see any other networks on channel 11 doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't any - it could alternatively be explained by there being more non-wifi noise affecting channel 11, obscuring the weak signals from neighbouring networks.
The only frequency the router and the Internet radio use will be the frequency that equates to the channel selected.
Luzern
Hero

Not sure how to read last sentence in above quote, nor if that is matter of my age or my stupidity! Crazy Smiley