cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my profile \speeds correct?

EdgeEffect
Dabbler

Is my profile \speeds correct?

Only just migrated from fibre to your Unlimited Fibre 80-20, clicking on the High-speed Broadband tab in my account it states ;
Telephone number:
01902*****7
Phone exchange:
FALLINGS PARK
Estimated line speed:
27Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2013-04-15 20:06:16
Current line speed:
37 Mb

Why is there such a difference in estimated line speed 27mb (which at the moment this is what a speed test is giving me) to the Current line speed 37mb?, does this need resetting your end?
Thanks for any help given. 
5 REPLIES 5
dannystokie
Grafter

Re: Is my profile \speeds correct?

Was 27Mb the speed you were getting before?
37Mb seems very much like you are still on 40/10.
are you using wired or wireless?
EdgeEffect
Dabbler

Hi Danny, when I first had in infinity installed back in 2010, connection was at full speed 39Mb which lasted for a good month or two,  then went down to about 37Mb, which I was on for months, just over a year later down to 33Mb and in the last 6 months down to 25\27Mb. I did complain to BT retail a number of times,  but trying to talk to their foreign customer help centre is like talking to a brick wall, they don't know how to deviate away from their script answer sheet. I've now moved to PlusNet, I know they may not be able to do anything but at least they seem to know what they are doing and an added bonus they are based  in the UK.
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi EdgeEffect,
I've checked over your connection and you're syncing at 27Mb/s, the profile on our system is initial set to the maximum speed on your product while we establish your srtable rate. It will then change(which it now has) to your current sync rate.
The 27Mb/s is the same as your estimate for your line, you can check here, so it would seem that it is running at the speed it should.
EdgeEffect
Dabbler

Thanks Chris for getting back to me, in your opinion what could cause such a huge 30% drop in line sync. I've read for some fibre customers the older versions of the huawei Echolife BT modem have been known to caused speed profiles to drop, due to not having any luck in getting this exchanged and to rule this out, I've decided to order my own modem, the latest huawei Echolife 3B version. If this is found to be the issue will my line profile\sync gradually increase or is it locked @ 27?,  if the latter can you reset retraining remotely from your end? 
Thanks
Adrian
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi Adrian,
If you were to sync at a higher speed with your new modem then you'd automatically receive an increased speed, our system profile would increase to allow for the extra throughput.
The line estimate is normally very accurate so I'd be surprised if it was to change, but the main reason for speeds changing are due to individual line conditions.
Let me know how you get on if you try a new one.