cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my download speed capped?

simmotech
Grafter

Is my download speed capped?

Last Friday we had an area power cut and while testing everything was working when the power came back, I noticed my broadband speeds had actually increased and not by a little but 40%!
Speedtest.net normally shows 48/16 consistently but for 3 days it showed 68/18.
However, after another powercut on Sunday evening, everything went back to 48/16.
Boo!

So my question is if my line/line length is capable of 68mbit why am I not getting that?
11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 255

Re: Is my download speed capped?

@simmotech What does this say BT Broadband ? - post the full text, but obscure your phone number.

John
simmotech
Grafter

I don’t have a phone number and don’t know where to find the other info. I’ll try to find it on Plusnet.
jab1
Legend

So, you are on SoGEA? Use this instead, then, selecting your address - but obscuring it in the reply: BT Broadband - Address 

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

@simmotech just use the Address checker. Enter your postcode and then select your address from the dropdown list

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

simmotech
Grafter

The Plusnet website and especially the help assistant are so [-Censored-]!

Anyway, I found the BT Address checker and here is the result:

IMG_3240.PNG

This seems to indicate I should be getting more than I am!

(Also it says FTTP on Demand Availability Date is "Available" but further down says "FTTP is not Available" - [-Censored-]?)

The Plusnet website contradicts itself:

- My current product is "Unlimited Fibre Extra inc. Line rental" with an Estimated download speed of 42-47Mbps and 38Mbps guaranteed.

- The Offers and Upgrades tab says my current product has 66Mb estimated download speed yet offers me a "Fibre" 24 month upgrade contract (£23.99/m vs the £28.59 I current pay) at 42-47Mb and 38.1 Min guaranteed speed

- I just looked back at my joining email from 26/08/22 where it says it estimates 49-67Mb with 12-18Mb Upload and a Minimum guaranteed Speed of 42.MB.

jab1
Legend

FTTP on Demand and WBC FTTP are two totally different products - and you don't even want to look at the costs for the former!

Which Hub do you have?

John
simmotech
Grafter

Its a Plusnet Hub Two DSL

jab1
Legend

OK. Can you do as asked in the below script - preferably on a full sized screen so we can see full details.

For Community members to be able to help, information from these sites, as screenshots, posted as pictures within the topic, not as attachments:-

BT Broadband Availability Checker (obscuring your phone number), where a landline phone is no longer supplied or known use the address version BT Broadband Address Availability (obscuring your address)

BTW Performance Tester - Over a wired (Ethernet) connection if at all possible, please report the 'ADDITIONAL DIAGNOSTICS'. This test is recommended to be performed with only one device connected.

Sight of the broadband connection status from your Hub (with the 'Username' obscured) would also be of help.

For the Hub One -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Troubleshooting > Helpdesk

For the Hub Two -

Navigate from the Home Screen to Advanced Settings > Technical Log > Information

Where the phone line is still active, it may also be a good idea to report the results of a Quiet Line Test - dial 17070 option 2 from a (preferably corded) phone. After the confirmation of your phone number, there should be total silence apart from the regular 'Quiet Line Test' announcement. Any other noise - report a PHONE fault first.

If you are unsure about any of the above, please just ask - I am happy to help.

John
simmotech
Grafter

I’m not near my PC now to get full screenshots but I’ve looked at the hub event log on the phone and it clearly shows connecting at 73xxx kbps on a couple of occasions (9th and 10th Dec) followed by 52350 kbps on 11th Dec.
The difference is the SNR which is 1.9dB then 4.4dB and then 6.2dB.
jab1
Legend

When you can do the tests - from the PC - please do.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 74

When you get a chance also export the event log after selecting category WAN and attach as a file, this will provide a full history for the DSL connection.

Dan