Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my TG582n borked ?

gtowen
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Is my TG582n borked ?

Live in North Wales and last night suffered a number of "mini-blackouts" due to lightning/electrical storm. Shutdown the pc for the night and went to bed.
This morning I rebooted and everything seemed to be back to normal, so decided to check my router stats to see if my sync had been affected with the multiple disconnects.
Unfortunately the web access kept timing out and I could not reach the login page or further Sad
Tried to telnet in to the router and this would hang at the following :
Trying 192.168.1.254...
Connected to 192.168.1.254.
Escape character is '^]'.
In the end I had to do a hard shutdown and reset the router to original settings before I could access the login/config pages.
All seemed back to normal untill this afternoon I was disconnected again and lost all access to the router once more. Access to the net seems to be fine but I have no control of the router settings Sad
Any ideas anyone, do I need to ask Plusnet for a new router ?
12 REPLIES 12
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Is my TG582n borked ?

Do you have an alternative router of your own you could try first? I wouldn't think it's a filter problem but it's also worth trying a different one.
David
gtowen
Rising Star

Hmmm, did you read my post spraxyt ?
Just to clarify, I have internet access........... what seems to be the problem is access to the router config page.
So changing the router or filters might resolve the situation but not solve the problem which is with the router.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

I have known TG router web service to become unresponsive due to being too busy dealing with line error correction processing.  It could be the case that the storm damaged the filter / line and now you are experiencing exceptionally high error rates which is slugging the router.
I would consider installing RouterStats doing a power reboot on the router then monitor the error rates if you can log in.
An alternative router might enable you to eliminate this possibility, which would clearly then suggest a borked tg582n.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

gtowen
Rising Star

At 04:00hrs this morning I was disconnected. When I woke up at 07:00hrs I had access to the internet but once again I was unable to access the router login/config pages. I did a hard reboot, (i.e. I switched the router off and back on at the router power button. Everything came back on and I could now access the router web pages. Started DSlstats and the error rates are not high:
After 60 minutes:
Per second Per minute Per hour   Per day
CRC Up 0 0 0 0
Down 0 0 0 0
FEC Up 0 0 0 0
Down 2.16 129 7758 186197
HEC Up 0 0 0 0
Down 0 0 0 0
ES Up 0 0 0 0
Down 0 0.18 10.5 253

I've checked the event logs for the router and there is no logs except for the system showing the telnet login/logout of DSLstats. There are no other logs recorded Sad
Tests Done
1) Using the router web pages I disconnected ppp and restarted the router. Everything came back on. I was able to access the router web pages and event logs now showing.
2) Simulated powercut by switching router off/on at power socket. Everything back on and access to router web pages.
3) Disconnected cable from router to master socket while router powered up. Reconnected and everything came back up ok. Able to access router web pages.
Hmmm so everything seems to be working at the moment. I have been unable to recreate the problem manually so will have to wait and see what happens the next time I am disconnected from the exchange.
Up and running for approx. 2 hours and I can no longer access the router login/config web pages Sad ..... no disconnects and nothing obvious to have caused this.
gtowen
Rising Star

Still couldn't access the router config, so switched the router off and back on. Everything ok for about 20 minutes, no problem accessing the router web pages and DSLstats running ok, then it all stopped again for no reason
Per second Per minute Per hour  Per day
CRC Up 0 0 0 0
Down 0.01 0.40 24.0 576
FEC Up 0 0 0 0
Down 2.12 127 7623 182960
HEC Up 0 0 0 0
Down 0 0 0 0
ES Up 0 0 0 0
Down 0 0.30 18.0 432
I've included the FEC error graph, shows nothing major causing the problem Sad
gtowen
Rising Star

Still having no joy with this problem. Sad
I can reboot the router and then have access to the login/config pages for upto an hour and then it stops.
Internet access is not affected. My dsl and ppp seem to stay connected but for some reason I cannot access the config either through a browser or by telnet Sad
I've tried a factory reset but that has no affect except to reset my settings. I still lose access after a short time Sad
Any ideas anyone ?
gtowen
Rising Star

Swapped the TG582n out for a borrowed BT Home Hub 2.0a and there's no problem. I can access the router login/config pages at any time without any problems.
So it looks like there is something wrong with the TG582n. Only had it since April Sad
Any chance I can get a replacement please ?
Ta
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi, just before we do, do you lose access from any other computers at the same time? Just to confirm it's a problem with the router and not on the internal network somewhere?
I'm just worried that if we do send out another one the same issue will happen - if it is failing to respond due to memory filling up, that's a possibility, though the test I've asked for above won't prove it unfortunately.
gtowen
Rising Star

Hi Matt,
I lose access totally. I have a main pc, media pc and a laptop. When I switch the router off and back on at the power switch I can access the login/config pages either through a wired or wireless connection (using a browser or telnet) but after a period of time ( from 15 mins upto an hour) I lose all access and cannot change any settings until I switch off and back on again. Sad
Since borrowing and using the BT home Hub I have been able to access the config pages at any time. Nothing else was changed and as such I'm sure it's something wrong with the TG582n.
I even did a factory reset which made no difference.
Ta gtowen
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thanks for that, just requested the RMA for you - should be with you early next week. Hope it sorts things.
gtowen
Rising Star

Thank you Matt Smiley
gtowen
Rising Star

New router fitted and login/router config pages accessible again Smiley Just need sync, ip profile and current line speed to settle down now Smiley
Old router posted back
Thanks for your help Matt Smiley